Re: [DNS] Enetica

From: Richard Keeves <richard§ibc.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:44:44 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Deus Ex Machina" <vicc&#167;cia.com.au>
> being a serious about being a registrar is not cheap. Enetica has spent
> over $.25m on its software alone. the $3000 dollar/year is only a barrier
> entry to small players who will only register a few dozen domains a month.

Here's the rub...  if Enetica (or any of the other registrars) would come
out and say that they will not go direct to end-user registrants, this
time-consuming debate and drama would not need to proceed...  and that
registrar would pick up heaps of business from a lot of pissed-off resellers
looking for someone they can trust.  But this has not happened.

Instead Enetica have been quiet all thru this raging debate - and we have
people like Jon suggesting that resellers should be cut out.  If that is a
common attitude, then such registrars do not deserve to have a channel
through whom they sell.

As far as I know, so far, only one registrar has stated they will not deal
direct and by-pass their channel. That is Explorer, but they do not to
gTLDs.

So all you registrars, either you have a channel or you don't.  If you
don't, then so be it.  See you in the market.
But, if you do have a channel, then for f**** sake, support  your channel -
don't cut it out. By-passing the channel is a very short-term game.
Building the channel and getting the leverage from wholesaling to hundreds
of resellers is a long-term game.  I would have thought that is was not only
a more honourable approach, but a bigger and better and more profitable game
too.

Cheers
Richard Keeves