DNS and Spam

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:10:55 +0200
Sorry to take things off on a tangent a little..

I haven't been following recent spam developments in Australia lately,
but the flurry of articles in the media has been hard to miss...

One article that caught my eye was at
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=589997653&fp=16&fpid=0
which reads in part:

    Notably, the legislation also contains major concessions to
    the direct marketing industry, who will be allowed to continue
    to harvest Australian e-mail addresses on .com.au sites on the
    Internet, essentially for the purpose of business to business
    marketing.

Is this true? Surely this represents a fundamental loophole and
misunderstanding of the role of second level domains.

Having an email address end in .com.au does not at all signify that the
users of that domain are commercial enterprises. On the contrary, many
(most?) ISPs in Australia hand out email addresses under this 2LD to all
their customers.

Secondly, such practice seemingly legitimises spamming .com.au domain
holders for the purposes of domain name renewal.

I sincerely hope this is either an oversimplification or the author got
it wrong. I'd hate to see .com.au die off because it became some
legitimated spammer refuge.

kim