Re: [DNS] domain names are old hat

From: <magic2147§optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:49:40 +1000
> Trying to push common usage of a term like "webname" will never take
> off.. and I think if it is ever tried to be used in any official way
> will just create increased confusion.

Yerr but I bet Ches, Larry, Rod et al will be kicking themselves for not thinking of it
first.

The site works fine in Mozilla btw but the content is cheezy. Eg.:

"Why should I register an .id.au webname?
An .id.au webname reflects two important qualities - being Australian and being
individual.
By registering your .id.au webname you are reserving your own personal place in the
virtual world."

For where I sit bloggs.id.au may make some people think Idaho is in Australia or
Indonesia and Australia have formed some sort of internet partnership.

But my prime objection to this useless domain name extension is that "id" in my
dictionary is defined as "...the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious and
serves as the source of instinctual impulses and demands for immediate satisfaction
of primitive needs". Not really what I want to convey in a domain name that will cost
me between $15 and $49.50 per annum plus hosting.

cb