Re: [DNS] Change to operation of .com and .net DNS service

From: Brad Power <max§ibc.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:23:29 +0800
Kirk,

    I am not sure there is a way to implement this without breaking a lot of
things, as Verisign has done. Putting a wildcard on a namespace like that is
a pain in the neck for admins trying to track down lame dns transfers - they
seem to resolve when they shouldn't, because an A record has been defined.
Running linkbots over sites you have developed is less helpful how since
even mistyped .com and .net links will return some type of http response and
check out as valid. There are numerous technical reasons why this type of
wildcarding is dangerous, applying on a whole range of protocols - not just
the Web. For example mailservers will never reject mail due to an 'unknown
domain' error - failing an MX lookup, an MTA will settle for an A record,
and since this is always defined, 'non-existant' domains are never invalid
to mail servers. Invalid mail then generates unnecessary traffic, and
bounces may take longer or may not happen at all, depending on how the
'invalid' end deals with it.

<redundant_rant>
With regards to what Verisign have done, I feel that the authority given to
them by the US Federal Government over the .com and .net namespace is being
misused for Verisign's self promotion. Reading their terms of service is
downright maddening. Example:

#10 - Sole Remedy: "YOUR USE OF THE VERISIGN SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY OF THE MATERIALS, RESULTS OR OTHER CONTENTS
OF THE VERISIGN SERVICES OR WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, OUR PRIVACY
STATEMENT, OR OTHER POLICIES, YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF THE
VERISIGN SERVICES OR OUR SITE.

So if we dont like it we have to...stop using the Internet? Being custodian
of a namespace does not mean you have the right to do what you wish with
unregistered domain names.
</redundant_rant>

Max