RE: [DNS] Enetica problems, anyone?

From: David James - The Pagesmith <david.james§pagesmith.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:30:52 +1000
Bennett,

Interestingly enough it was your name to whom the operator attempted to
transfer my call. I waited, and waited and heard more songs on 2MMM than
I cared to count, but it was 20 minutes at least.  Hardly a quick
response. I thank you for your quick response via the List and once
we've addressed these answers perhaps we should communicate off-list if
further warranted.

> That's an interesting view. You think we have no right to contact the
> actual registrant of a domain registered through us?

Given that I was recorded as the contact - no.  If I sign a client, say,
for hosting, I don't expect the host to contact the client, either,
particularly if the contact details specifically excluded the client's.
You would have had to trawl the client's website for contact details and
your message was a thinly disguised advertisement for other services.

> What is the privacy issue? Does you client think they can register
> domains without the registrar knowing who they are?

Many web clients wish to be shielded from domain name and hosting
technicalities given the difficulties experienced in the past with some
resellers.

> The email sent out was specifically aimed at making sure people have
> the correct contact details for their domains, clearly most of your
> clients don't, as you have put yourself down as the admin contact.

The details were, and still are, correct. Your e-mail purported to
"sell" irrelevant domains.

> Once again, these domains were ordered through our retail site, we
> absolutely do not contact our reseller's clients.

We have chosen to purchase retail from you because its often not
practical to purchase a "package", particularly when we are trialling
different domain resellers.

David James