RE: [DNS] DNS Problem

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 20:17:41 +1100
From http://aun.uninett.no:8083/cgi-bin/nph-zone-check.pl

seol.net.au zone check result

----

Warning: Name server appears to be an alias
The name ns.seol.net.au does not appear to be the "real name" of this host.
This was checked by translating the IP address(es) of this host
(203.220.28.7) which yielded ns1.seol.net.au. Use of such aliases is
strongly discouraged since they might falsely lead you to beleive that you
can move the name service to another IP address without notifying the
administrators of the parent zone.
----

Error: No SOA response
The name server ns1.seol.net.au (at IP address 203.220.28.8) failed to
return the SOA record for the zone seol.net.au.
----

Warning: No translation for 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
The name server ns.seol.net.au (at IP address 203.220.28.7) does not appear
to be set up to return a PTR for the above name. By convention, all name
servers ought to provide translation for this address, which is commonly
used for addressing "loopback" interfaces, particularly on Unix systems.
----

Warning: No translation for 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
The name server ns1.seol.net.au (at IP address 203.220.28.7) does not appear
to be set up to return a PTR for the above name. By convention, all name
servers ought to provide translation for this address, which is commonly
used for addressing "loopback" interfaces, particularly on Unix systems.
----

Summary
Errors: 1
Warnings: 3

The multiple address mappings for ns1 is the only real problem I have seen
so far.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch