A tale for our times

From: <magic2147§optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:43:37 +1100
In July a client of ours registered a domain with Enetica via a reseller. The reseller
supplied the registrant with the Enetica password for the Domain Management Login
but did not make any changes to the email contacts which are the resellers own.

Roll on a few months and the client is ready to launch their website and so we need
to re-delegate the domain. The client gives us the registry key and we go to Enetica's
site (https://www.enetica.com.au/man.cgi) and try to login. We get a 404 error. This
can't be right. I  ring Enetica who tell there is an issue with Ausregistry. Ok I says how
long before it is fixed? Tomorrow. Some time. May be never.

Client is getting ratty about this delay. So I ring Ausregistry. Yes they say there is a
problem but Enetica needs to authorise us to change something. I tell them for crying
out loud call them and fix the problem for the poor registrant who pays your wages
and the stupid motor racing sponsorship. Oooh errr I can't came the reply from the
Ausregistry Jobsworth  I don't have the authrority who also cites auDA rules. By this
time the Enetica Domain Management reports "Login Error: Domain not with us" but it
is according to the .au whois. I now ring Enetica who can't do anything either -
apparently Bennett is the only one with a phone that can make STD calls and he's out
to lunch.

So here we have Ausregistry "All Systems are Functional" and the "No 1 Registrar"
who both make a s**tload of money from an effective monopoly of very much
overpriced .au domains but who when it comes to enabling the utmost basic of
functions on a domain cannot do anything to help a client because they apparently
don't have the systems in place to take action quickly when a problem is detected - or
to put it another way - provide a bit of bloody service.

Too busy counting the cash fellas?

cb