Re: [DNS] List changes

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:16:09 +0800
Quoting Skeeve Stevens on Tuesday March 16, 2004:

| Obviously it is assumed it 'was' an auDA list being hosted by them.
| So, for clarification, who 'owns' this list?

I agree with David's interpretation - it is the sum of contributions
from everyone who participates. I would never claim to own it, but for
what its worth, I get to do the mundane things like making sure people
who are incapable of remembering what address they subscribed under get
removed. I perform no moderation.

I would say I am merely the defacto list manager. This incarnation
of the list was originally set up under the auspices of the Western
Australian Internet Association when I was Secretary of it, and before
auDA existed. Through various iterations I am still here...

| Is constant whinging by domain scammers going to be dealt with?

I don't think one should take action for people purely expressing
contrary opinions. People are allowed to disagree, and this is a
discussion list. People will be removed when they "seriously breach
the harmony" of the list. This doesn't have any strict definition, but
historically seems to coincide with an individual avalanching the list
with many emails a day, driving everyone else away through attrition.
Think James Guy, Adam Todd, Jim Fleming, Jeff Williams...

The general rule, not for this list but for all, is if you see a troll,
just ignore them. The vast majority will just disappear if you stop
biting.

As this is a community, if the general feeling of the community is
something about this list should be changed, then that can happen.

It seems lately whenever there is a disagreement of opinion, rather than
actually discuss it (or if it just trying to incite a fight, ignore it),
the line of reasoning quickly seems to take a turn toward a debate on
who runs this list and what they should do about it. Rather than have
some authority telling people who can say what, I'd prefer people just
used their common sense.

kim