FW: [DNS] Rationale of .au high price was: [DNS] Cat got your tongue Chris?

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:41:33 +1000
cb

I've raised similar concerns in the past.

In July 2003 it was reported that AusRegistry earned about $9 million in the
first 12 months of the contract ... dramatically exceeding its prediction of
$6.5 million.

In view of this disclosure, I raised in a posting to the DNS list in Sep
2003 <http://dotau.org/archive/2003-09/0225.html>, the following public
policy questions relating to costs and prices of .au domain name licences:

a) what was the ROI for AusRegistry?

(b) has AusRegistry - a monopoly seller of domain name registry services in
.au - made 'above normal' profits?

(c) are registrars, resellers and registrants paying too much for services
along the .au domain name services supply chain?

(d) what are the implications (costs, risks and benefits) of AusRegistry
"giving away 50,000 free registrations ... in .id.au"?

(e) why should .com.au and .net.au registrants subsidise .id.au and .org.au
registrants?

(f) how effective and well managed are the price controls arrangements in
the registry licence agreement?

(g) would price cap regulation of registry services (CPI-X) recommended by
the Competition Model Advisory Panel* have produced a better outcome for .au
domain name services industry and consumers?

(* As a member of the Panel, I had a hand in writing the recommendation.  In
hindsight, the recommendation was neither well formed, nor well explained in
the Panel's final report of June 2001,
<http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/cmap-model-final.pdf>.)

I suggested that such questions might be best answered in a
review/evaluation of the auDA scheme.

Hopefully, there will be an independent review of the scheme, well in
advance of the expiration of the 4 year registry contract.

Ian Johnston