Re: [DNS] domain name news - 17 May

From: Robert Gregory <Robert.Gregory§maddocks.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:52:44 +1000
On the other hand, the fact that the so called "alternate root" domains
are expanding is news and of interest to me.

>>> paul&#167;cohsoft.com.au 20/05/04 9:24:25 >>>
At 01:59 AM 20/05/2004 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:

>I've been paying attention, this is the third posting of this
reference
>to an ongoing series of advertisements - Press Releases - by some mob
>flogging a 'patent pending' plugin 'technology' (for Some Particular
OS,
>no doubt) that is a complete con for the un-DNS-educated to believe
that
>these so-called 'domains' have anything _at_ _all_ to do with the
global
>Domain Name Service that underlies the internet.

I'm sorry to write a "me too" message, but I must agree with Ian.

Anyone can implement their own name server with whatever names they
like on
it. The DNS is not just the technology of name serving - it is also a
widely used process, flawed as it might be, to add names to the list.

These press releases are just the latest of several underground
attempts to
extend the DNS namespace without going through that process. Ian is
quite
right to highlight to dangers and risks here, and I too have noted
that
David seems to have given this particular story more prominence than I

believe it merits.

The decentralised, open, freewheeling nature of the Internet collides
with
the need for a central, authoritative, reliable source of domain names
and
IP addresses. For once, it has to be the latter that wins.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----

Please do not retransmit articles on this list without permission of
the
author, further information at the above URL.

Maddocks
Melbourne - Tel: (61 3) 9288 0555  Fax: (61 3) 9288 0666
Sydney - Tel: (61 2) 8223 4100  Fax: (61 2) 9221 0872
Web: http://www.maddocks.com.au
The information in this electronic mail is privileged
and confidential, intended only for use of the individual
or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any dissemination, copying or use of the information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission
in error please delete it immediately from your system
and inform us by email on info&#167;maddocks.com.au.