Re: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: <magic2147§optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:55:17 +1000
On 1 Apr 2005 at 14:15, Bennett Oprysa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can you explain on what grounds a registrar would reject such an
> application?
>
> There are numerous reasons why it could be perfectly feasible, eg
> applicant provides support/advice specific to msnmessenger
> applicant sells addons for msnmessenger
> applicant has their own product called msnmessenger or something similar
>
> all of the above are without question appropriate reasons for
> registering the domain, for all we know the registrant may well fit one
> of the above when applying for a domain. Do you expect registrars to do
> a site visit and conduct interviews with the employees of the company to
> make sure their claim is true for every application?
>
> If the registrant has made a false warranty they risk losing the domain.
> If they have also missused a trademark belonging to a multinational,
> they also face the risk of incurring considerable legal costs when the
> lawyers descend upon them.
>
> As far as registrars being too lenient, the simple fact is that the
> number of registrations cancelled by auDA due to people having made
> false warranties can be counted on one hand last time I checked.
>
> Bennett.

Bennett

You of all people should say nowt about this having permitted, a couple of years ago, an
inbound transfer of a domain that was registered in the name of a deregistered company.
Your human checker was not well enough trained to identify this bleeding obvious problem it
seems.

I wouldn't be so unwise as to suggest that you should have  known that the person who
requested the transfer could not have had any authority to do so as after complaints were
made the domain was deleted from the registry in the prescribed way. Quite why both auDA
and the ceding register MIT disregrarded the rules in the first place is a mystery that has
never been explained.

The long amd short of this thread is that the commercial .au domain space (and .edu.au for
that matter) is a nasty little cartel where rivers of gold are generated  for a few. I reiterate
what I have said previously: the .au  domain space should be administered by a real not for
profit registry/registrar and what surpluses are generated should be given to charities like the
.il and .za regimes where commercial domains are half the .au price and work just as well.

cb