Re: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: Bennett Oprysa <bennett§enetica.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:15:26 +1000
Hi,

can you explain on what grounds a registrar would reject such an
application?

There are numerous reasons why it could be perfectly feasible, eg
applicant provides support/advice specific to msnmessenger
applicant sells addons for msnmessenger
applicant has their own product called msnmessenger or something similar

all of the above are without question appropriate reasons for
registering the domain, for all we know the registrant may well fit one
of the above when applying for a domain. Do you expect registrars to do
a site visit and conduct interviews with the employees of the company to
make sure their claim is true for every application?

If the registrant has made a false warranty they risk losing the domain.
If they have also missused a trademark belonging to a multinational,
they also face the risk of incurring considerable legal costs when the
lawyers descend upon them.

As far as registrars being too lenient, the simple fact is that the
number of registrations cancelled by auDA due to people having made
false warranties can be counted on one hand last time I checked.

Bennett.