RE: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:58:19 +1000
Bill,

Domains also enable micro businesses to establish themselves. By volume,
domains are registered 80% (at a guess) by companies with less than 5
employees. The price is $50 now - but without a focus on reducing price,
they would still be $140 to $300 in .au, which is a barrier to an individual
with an idea they want to try out.

The point is that domain names are really a pretty basic technical service
with very low fixed costs and a high degree of automation. Sure businesses
can afford to pay $50 for 2 years, but if the real cost is $10 for 2 years
(or less), why should they? And who is collecting the margin?

For a 2 year $50 domain name it looks like this (all prices inc GST):

auDA $8.25
AusRegistry (monopoly) $29
RegistrarX (competitive) $12.75

Its easy to see where the price distortion is. I'm not sure its registrars
that are seeing the 'rivers of gold' mentioned.

Larry