AU.COM

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:53:44 +1000
Bill,

Well, that's an entirely different topic (so I've changed the thread
subject).

At present we just charge the same we do for .com .net etc. The truth is
that we have put very little effort into clarifying the strategy for .au.com
for some years, so it just sort of rolls along. If we successfully confused
the Australian market, it was certainly not by design. At its inception, I
had great hopes for .au.com at a time when .com.au was very inefficient,
expensive and restrictive - au.com addressed many of the issues that made
com.au difficult. Its definitely not the most underperforming idea to come
out of the dot com boom - at least it's still there.

Its probably very fair to say that we executed poorly on au.com. Our
strategy didn't take into account the 'special' role com.au has for
Australia and the resulting resistance au.com faced. In particular, we
underestimated the very negative attitude the industry had towards au.com
and didn't make the case for it to that group adequately.

Nonetheless, we have no plans to drop or close au.com - although that would
make a lot of people on this list happy, no doubt. It has a body of
registrants we will continue to support and who knows - perhaps in the
future it will have a bigger role than it does today. I don't think anyone
is losing sleep over it. Perhaps you've got a better idea for how it could
be used?

Larry