Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Bennett Oprysa <bennett§enetica.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:37:47 +1000
One of the comparisons pro-privacy people keep making is that you are not
required to make publically available your name and address etc when you
register a phone number.

One point that is clearly missed is that most domain spaces are for business
use, not private use. Businesses have no right to hide their contact
details, that is against trading rules in most countries. If you want a .com
or a com.au, you must be prepared to provide accurate and complete contact
details for everyone to see. The fact some people use .coms for their own
private purposes is their problem, it is not what they are meant for.

I would certainly support hidding contact details for id.au domains for
example, but I see no reason why registrants of commercial names should be
allowed to hide their contact details.

Bennett.