Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Anand Kumria <wildfire§progsoc.uts.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:00:12 +1000
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:37:47PM +1000, Bennett Oprysa wrote:
> One of the comparisons pro-privacy people keep making is that you are not
> required to make publically available your name and address etc when you
> register a phone number.
>
> One point that is clearly missed is that most domain spaces are for business
> use, not private use. Businesses have no right to hide their contact
> details, that is against trading rules in most countries. If you want a .com
> or a com.au, you must be prepared to provide accurate and complete contact
> details for everyone to see. The fact some people use .coms for their own
> private purposes is their problem, it is not what they are meant for.
>
> I would certainly support hidding contact details for id.au domains for
> example, but I see no reason why registrants of commercial names should be
> allowed to hide their contact details.

Commercial entities are not required to divulge all the phone numbers they
own -- to use your own example.

For example if you had a line hunt with 30 numbers you can choose which
one(s) to publish.  All the others are on record (I think it is called the
Integrated Public Number Database -- IPND) for both emergency services
and ASIS.

But you can optionally choose which, if any, number to publish.

I can see no reason to have anything apart from the legal domain name
holder and their preferred contact method available publically (be it
email or phone number).

For those organisations who need more contact details, ASIC will have
full details (as you say, it is a trading requirement) and I would
imagine that auda would make available their database to both ASIS and
other emergency services when requested.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are