Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Ben McGinnes <ben§adversary.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:47:01 +1000
Deus Ex Machina(vicc&#167;cia.com.au)@Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:38:30AM +1000:

> privacy is not a perticularly fundamental right.  In fact I cant think of
> any rights that are inferior to it, can you?

In theory or practice?

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cpr.html

Article 17 is the one you want, though most people here would probably
be proponents of Articles 18 and 19 too.

BTW, Australia has both signed and ratified this treaty, which is why
it was able to be wielded so effectively against the Tasmanian
legislature a few years ago.

It does, of course, take something fairly significant to get people to
take notice of this one and it is extraordinarily unlikely to ever be
used as an argument against a publicly accessible whois database,
either here or abroad.  There might be some argument regarding .id.au,
but that's about it.

Regards,
Ben