RE: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:54:06 +1000
I tend to agree with Kim.

There is a valid reason for a publicly available whois service. There are
legitimate reasons why the owner of a name should be easily identifiable.

By and large names are for the use of businesses, and privacy for businesses
is an entirely different thing to individuals. I would think that hiding
email addresses for individuals has merit, but a business is another matter.

To some degree, visibility and the resulting spam is a cost of being a
business with a publicly visible domain name. After all, if you don't want
to be contacted, what is the point of having the name in the first place?
(yes, I know - there are many other reasons). The point is, if you have a
domain name for your company and you have a website, most likely you publish
contact details. Spam is a scourge, we all agree, but it's a 'cost' of
having an email address. If you don't want spam that badly, don't use email.

.AU deliberately removed telephone numbers and address details as these were
deemed unnecessary, but email details remained in whois as the least
compromising contact details to provide. I am not aware of widespread abuse
of the email addresses published in .au whois.

Larry