Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Mike <mjr§hydrocorp.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:47:40 +0930
Larry Bloch wrote:

>Mike,
>
>Do you at least acknowledge that the visibility of .au whois data is closer
>to your ideal than in .com?

No, not really. I actually think what we all need is ;
• confidence in the data, esp. when viewed from a continuing
infrastructure perspective.
• security for the data against unneccessary or unwanted use/alteration.
• privacy for the owner/registrant of the data.

>If so, we can all agree that privacy protection in .au is better than
>elsewhere and possibly best practice. There are competing needs and a
>balance is necessary if you want to have whois at all. Perhaps the .au
>approach is a good compromise?

Better is not best. It'd be much better if we were the best. Then we've
got something to sell to everyone.
Take the new email domain idea that's recently been raised..
Where spam is stopped at the front door through an authorised network of
"email doms".

Thats the sort of thing I'm talking about..innovative improvements and
developing a system that IS best practice and has something to offer
that all the others don't.
Confidence, Security, and Privacy.

Regards.

Mike.