[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: David Keegel <djk§cybersource.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:28:41 +1000
If we're looking at this from a registrant's point of view,
there are also downsides to the existence of another space.

If you register it, you face a lot of costs to change from
acme.com.au to acme.au - like printing new business cards,
reconfiguring servers, changing user settings, etc.

If you don't register it, there's the risk that some other
person will register acme.au and ask for thousands of dollars
to transfer it to the real Acme.

So Acme will feel under pressure to register both acme.au and
acme.com.au.  Which is great if you are a registrar, but not so
great if you are a business end user who now needs to pay twice
as much for domain registration.

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:20:22PM +1000, Vic Cinc wrote:
> the take up in spaces that have been opened. its a premium space
> with a high value. large companies love being ibm.au rather then
> ibm.com.au
>
> Vic

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cybersource.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
 Cybersource P/L: Linux/Unix Systems Administration Consulting/Contracting