[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:42:25 +1000
David Keegel [djk&#167;cybersource.com.au] wrote:
> If we're looking at this from a registrant's point of view,
> there are also downsides to the existence of another space.
>
> If you register it, you face a lot of costs to change from
> acme.com.au to acme.au - like printing new business cards,
> reconfiguring servers, changing user settings, etc.
>
> If you don't register it, there's the risk that some other
> person will register acme.au and ask for thousands of dollars
> to transfer it to the real Acme.
>
> So Acme will feel under pressure to register both acme.au and
> acme.com.au.  Which is great if you are a registrar, but not so
> great if you are a business end user who now needs to pay twice
> as much for domain registration.

how do you know that?? how do you know they would not prefer xxx.au
over xxx.com.au and be prepared to pay for it? this situation already
exists with .net.au  and .com and .net etc some bother some dont.

let the market decide.

speaking for myself I would be more then happy to pay to rebrand as xyz.au
over xyz.com.au anyday.

Vic