[DNS] Constitutional Changes for auDA

From: Garth Andrew Miller <garth.miller§cocca.cx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:31:16 +0200
... just curious does anybody know what is driving the proposal to
modify the objects  to read.

" The principal purposes of auDA are: b. to maintain and promote the
operational stability and utility of the .au ccTLD and more
generally, the Internet's unique identifier system, and to enhance
the benefits of Internet to the wider community".

while there can be no no contesting the "enhancement of the internet
to the wider community" it would seem (on the surface at any rate)
that by auDA making as its object the  "maintenance of the Internet's
unique identifier system"  it may be casting a bit of a wide net a -
and put it  in potential conflict with Australian entities already
(competently IMO) maintaining the internet's unique identifier system.

IP Address allocation -  APNIC http://www.apnic.org/
eNUM - http://www.acma.gov.au
... of particular interest to me the administration of the CC, CX,
and NF ccTLDs. TLDs which are currently administered by local
entities with substantial local support.

Whilst there can be no arguing with the merits of increased co-
ordination of  policy and technology between the various entities
(APNIC, ACMA, CIIA (www.nic.cx) and there may be circumstances in
which auDA may be the logical entity to become more broadly involved
- insolvency of another "au" player,  failure or technical
instability in a external territory etc. But this could be
accomplished  without making these actives the object of the company.

I am not sure that modifying the auDA constitution (as drafted)  is
the best way to advance this co-operation between the various parties
in the Commonwealth involved in maintenance of the internets unique
identifier system.  In the absence of some evidence to the contrary,
I would suggest that multiple players working co-operatively with
their own areas of expertise is the best way to stimulate growth of
the internet  in Australia.

But perhaps I have misinterpreted the drafting, am being paranoid..

Cheers

Garth Miller
Christmas Island Internet Administration
http://www.nic.cx