[DNS] Secondary Market

From: James Andrewartha <trs80§ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:30:26 +0800 (WST)
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Jon Lawrence wrote:

> You may not like the idea of people making money from speculating on the
> value of domain names.  I have to admit that I don't particularly like it
> either, however I do recognise that it is a perfectly normal consequence
> of having a free market.
[snip]

Having read the arguments on this list, I've come to agree that there is
grounds for a review of the transfer rules in the interest of freeing up
the market. Mere speculation by itself doesn't seem all that bad.

However, what both sides seem to be ignoring is the rampant domain camping
in .com, where a variety of parties sit watching for expired domains, in
the hope of reregistering them and selling them back to the previous owner
at an inflated price.

So until someone proposes a way of allowing legitimate transfers while
preventing this sort of domain hostage-taking I can't see freeing up the
transfer process as a good idea.

James Andrewartha