[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:42:03 +0100
Darryl

You may not like the idea of people making money from speculating on the
value of domain names.  I have to admit that I don't particularly like it
either, however I do recognise that it is a perfectly normal consequence
of having a free market.

There is a great deal of speculation within the share market, which has
all sorts of interesting and unintended consequences, however I don't hear
anyone calling for the trading of shares to be regulated so that speculation
is proscribed.  The reason for this is that the cost of that regulation
(significantly higher cost of raising capital etc) would massively outweigh
the benefit (less people getting rich with little effort etc) that removing
speculation from the market would result in.

Proscribing the trading of .au domain names may reduce the amount of speculation
in the market, however it also prevents legitimate business transactions
from occuring in an efficient manner.

Here's a real world example:

I used to work for a company that decided to create a new brand in order
to launch a service that had previously only been offered within australia,
on a global basis.  That brand was kinda long so was normally referred to
by it's four-letter acronym.  The .com version of that four letter acronym
was registered by another company.  After some negotiation, that other company
decided to sell that domain name to my company and to rebrand their service.
 For that company, the amount of money we offered greatly outweighed the
cost of rebranding.  For us, the cost of buying the domain name was greatly
outweighed by the benefit of being able to trade with the appropriate domain
name for our market.  There was no sale of any business or transfer of any
other asset, other than the domain name.

This is exactly the sort of totally legitimate transaction that is currently
being prevented under the current rules.

Whatever you think about speculation, the current rules are not effective
in proscribing it (as you admit below), and result in totally legitimate
business transactions being hindered and/or prevented.

I'd also like to suggest that the less policies auDA has to police, the
more time & resources they will have to police them.

Jon