[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:34:56 +0100
>I argue there isn't any inherent value in a word incorporated into a domain
>name.  It is what is done with the domain name that creates value.  If
you
>just sat on that domain name you paid $40,000 for for a few years without
>doing anything with it, how much do you think it would be worth in say
2016?
>What is it worth when you stop selling the product related to the name?

Very good questions.  Questions I would suggest would be best answered by
a freely-operating secondary market.

>What does a startup company do when it finds that to get a name related
>their products the current price is $40,000 cause so many other companies
>with
>deeper pockets have been paying such prices?

How about, they think of a DIFFERENT name?  Have a look around, Darryl.
 There are TENS of MILLIONS of .com domain names registered and yet there
are new businesses appearing every day with brand new domain names...most
of the 'hot Web 2.0' sites (flickr, del.icio.us, digg etc etc) have all
managed to create new, memorable and valuable brands within domain spaces
that have many more names registered than .com.au.

Jon