[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:26:54 +0100
Darryl

The problem with the ticket scalping analogy is that a ticket can only be
used on one occasion.

A domain name however can be used by one company for a period of time after
which they may feel that it is no longer core to their requirements.  Rather
than simply letting it expire, however, they may choose to hang on to the
name, having built up value in that name in terms of both brand equity and
also web traffic.  Another company comes along and decides that they would
like that name and approaches the first company with an offer that is accepted.

Is that not a perfectly legitimate business transaction?  Why should that
be proscribed?

Jon