[DNS] Licence Period

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:46:16 +1000
Tony Owen [tony&#167;seol.net.au] wrote:
> > typosquating is registration in bad faith. this is already covered in .au
> > and .com
> > maybe I am missing something?
> >
> > Vic
>
> Yes, they are using the fact they are a registrar to pull this off, they
> also monetize millions of domains, something they would have trouble doing
> if they were not a registrar.
>
> Overall Dotster will claim they are making as much money as they can 'within
> the rules' which is why we need to make sure 'the rules' in .au are tight.

well no, there is a specifically a law in the US in regards to
cybersquating including typosquating. no such law exists here and it probably should.
so what dotster did is in fact illegal. it is not illegal here but is
against the contractual bounds of operations.

the only thing they are doing that cant be done without being or the help of a
registrar and I am sure many offer the service, is domain tasting. which
in principle I have no problem with.

Vic