[DNS] Use of wildcard resource records

From: Kirk Fletcher <kirk§enetica.com.au>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 08:55:50 +1100
This is the first I've heard of this....

I think they misunderstood the ICANN article, which refers to wildcard
records in TOP LEVEL DOMAINS - ie, it makes a case against
registries using wildcards for non existant or unregistered domains....
what individuals do with their own domains is not any of their business
- indeed, many services rely on a wildcard DNS entry for subdomains.

auDA's statement, "auDA notes that the use of wildcard resource
records is widely regarded within the internet technology community
as detrimental to the operational stability of the DNS," is simply not
correct in this context.  Again, I think they misunderstood the ICANN
report as referring to use of wildcards in all levels (ie, subdomains).

Of course, it seems they are referring specifically to TLD.com.au
domains (eg, com.com.au), but I think they need to make it a bit
clearer - as it stands, the final sentence is disturbing:

"In the meantime, registrants who use wildcard resource records
should be aware that auDA will take action to protect the operational
stability and utility of the .au DNS."

Regards,
Kirk Fletcher