[DNS] Australia registers more .au than .com domains

From: Darryl <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:39:47 +1000
dns-bounces+dassa=dhs.org&#167;dotau.org wrote:
>> To point things in a completely different direction, rather
>> than moving to the model of direct registration of .au
>> domains, which in effect closes the .au namespace to any
>> further 2LDs, I think it makes far more sense to open the
>> .au namespace up even further by introducing more 2LDs.
>>
>> For example, a model based on industry classification - i.e.
>> name.industry.au
>>
>> For example:
>> - anz.bank.au
>> - abc.tv.au
>> - mmm.radio.au
>> - bigpond.isp.au
>> - telstra.tel.au / telstra.telco.au
>> - johns.plumbing.au
>>
>> The greater the number of 2LDs and the more specific they
>> are, the more open the .au namespace is, the greater the
>> room to grow and more importantly, the fewer IP issues and
>> domain conflicts. There is no conflict between xyz.bank.au
>> and xyz.plumbing.au but there is when both want xyz.com.au

This is an idea I like and would support.  Might be a bit tricky working out
the process for setting up the second level names but I'm sure something
could be worked out that would satisfy everyone.  Perhaps based on yellow
page classifications, that way it would be in a format already known to the
general public.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch