[DNS] Australia registers more .au than .com domains

From: Darryl <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:44:50 +1000
dns-bounces+dassa=dhs.org&#167;dotau.org wrote:
>> Extrapolating your suggestion, and the Bulgarian example
>> from Josh, there are two probable consequences:
>>
>> - Registrars (and, by definition, Registries) would enjoy
>> another bonanza as businesses rushed to protect their brands
>> (or predators rushed to grab unprotected brands).
>>
>> - The value and relevance of a domain name as a brand
>> protection device would diminish.

You seem to indicate that would be a bad thing, in my mind it would be a
good thing.

>> Using Bulgaria as an example: if I wanted to protect the
>> brand of a new business I'd need to register 37 domain names
>> all at once.  It would be far cheaper to have a single 2LD
>> and increase the price of a domain name by 2000%.  And how
>> would MS or Coke respond if I wanted to register
>> Microsoft.cobbler.au or coca cola.plumbing.au, given that
>> this suggested model would allow me to do so?

Why should they care if those names are registered, it should be obvious to
anyone that something under plumbing.au that doesn't have anything to do
with plumbing would be a waste of time.  The value in such a scheme would be
in the ease of finding relevent content.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch