[DNS] Australia registers more .au than .com domains

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:35:22 +1000
Extrapolating your suggestion, and the Bulgarian example from Josh, there
are two probable consequences:

- Registrars (and, by definition, Registries) would enjoy another bonanza as
businesses rushed to protect their brands (or predators rushed to grab
unprotected brands).

- The value and relevance of a domain name as a brand protection device
would diminish.

Using Bulgaria as an example: if I wanted to protect the brand of a new
business I'd need to register 37 domain names all at once.  It would be far
cheaper to have a single 2LD and increase the price of a domain name by
2000%.  And how would MS or Coke respond if I wanted to register
Microsoft.cobbler.au or coca cola.plumbing.au, given that this suggested
model would allow me to do so?

Ron Stark

  _____