[DNS] Restricting demand membership of auDA

From: Josh Rowe <josh§email.nu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:00:08 +1000
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:46:12PM +0000, Kim Davies wrote:

[ ... ]

> To take a personal example, when I started participating in auDA --
> which I did out of personal interest -- my employer at the time was
> an ISP where I worked in systems development. In this role I didn't
> touch domain retailing services (back then as a reseller of M-IT) for
> customers. Today under these rules presumably I would be banned from
> being on the auDA Board. Is that fair or appropriate?

from: Annexure to EGM Notice - Explanatory Memorandum
http://www.auda.org.au/document.php?documentid=927

Employees who hold less than 5% of the total number of votes attached to the shares in the .au domain name Supply entity (.au Registry/.au Registrar/.au Reseller) are permitted to be a Demand Class Director.

[...]

> Perhaps we need to reconsider different models of demand membership
> of auDA if the risk of capture is that great. I don't know what the
> current update of demand membership is like, but it might benefit from
> some elements of the new CIRA model (see
> http://www.cira.ca/en/membership/about.html) where any domain holder
> can have free annual enrollment as a member.

I think this type of idea has merit.   Each demand class person hould only entitled to one membership regardless of whether they have 1 or 1000 .au domains.

Josh
--
http://josh.id.au/