[DNS] Telstra DNS redirection

From: Jay Daley <jay§nzrs.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:44:17 +1300
On 20/11/2009, at 12:39 PM, Brett Fenton wrote:

> Perhaps you can tell me why any DNS provider would out of hand see this as
> something that is bad for an end user?

Because DNS is not the web.

> a) They are only doing it on failed lookups (different story if they were
> pushing content on valid lookups, and I think they understand this as well)

In which lies a multitude of sins.  See slides 13 - 18 of http://sel.icann.org/meetings/seoul2009/presentation-ssac-26oct09-en.pdf

In case you don't know (and this is not meant to be patronising) the authors of that view, the SSAC, are _the_ committee that safeguards the security of DNS and have the power to do so.

> b) If you want to see a 404, you can opt out of the system

If only DNS were just about HTTP.

kind regards
Jay

--