[DNS] Telstra DNS redirection

From: Larry Bloch <Larry.Bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:25:46 +1100
This argument of protocol purity is absolutist Canutism (yes, I did make that up - think King Canute). Innovation comes from using building blocks in ways that were never intended.

The Domain name system was never intended as a direct navigation mechanism (you type a name and expect a result without knowing there is a site you're looking for there) but there is a vibrant, useful and valuable industry based around the realisation that people out there use domain names in ways that were never intended.

Chill out. I know it's not really in fashion at the moment, but let the market rule. If what Bigpond is doing is "bad" for users, they'll vote with their feet. Personally, I don't really see the harm - but then, nor am I a conservative purist who wants things to stay the way the "founding fathers" intended them to be.

Regards,

Larry Bloch

Direct: ???????????? (02) 9934-0536
Mobile: ?????????? (0411) 545-118