[DNS] 2010 auDA Election

From: Brett Fenton <brett.fenton§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:56:27 +1100
Hi Kim,

I don't have an opinion on the discuss/not discuss view and the publication of
an email, if Erhan is okay with it being discussed in public then that would
be good enough for me.

I would make some comment on reduction on costs / opex however whether that
spurs discussion or not.

In my own personal view (and I'm speaking as an individual not in my capacity
of working in a Registrar), I think the travel line in the auDA budgets is not
only excessive it's obscene.

auDA while I was on the board made a commitment that if auCD wasn't
financially viable after the initial cash injection from the generic domain
auctions, that the program would be rolled up. Well the money is exhausted and
all that's happened is that auDA have absorbed the ongoing costs and it's
business as usual.

To an outside observer there seems to be no competive tender process to auDA
for the provision of ongoing contract services, legals as one example.

I certainly think that the board as part of their corporate governance should
be looking at the entire opex budget for auDA regardless of whether this
ultimately lowers domain pricing or not.

Though on the issue of domain pricing it is my understanding that each
registration now contributes 25c to the auDA foundation. Which I think in and
of itself is scandalous.

I would welcome some healthy community debate around these and any other
items, whether you happen to agree with my particular point of view or not.

Regards,
Brett Fenton.