[DNS] auDA Domain News - 19 May

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 08:51:37 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

WHOIS Online Accuracy Reporting System: Request for Proposal

< <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-16may14-en.htm> http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-16may14-en.htm>

auDA reviewing Community Geographic Domain Names

< <http://www.auda.org.au/news/auda-reviewing-community-geographic-domain-names/> http://www.auda.org.au/news/auda-reviewing-community-geographic-domain-names/>

Blow for Amazon as ?.brand? gTLD application shot down

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=03f8709f-c394-4f8f-a5a5-bfe35b480863> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=03f8709f-c394-4f8f-a5a5-bfe35b480863>

>From New York to London to Berlin, the Race is on For City Dotbranding

< <http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2014/05/15/140515-City-Dotbranding.aspx> http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2014/05/15/140515-City-Dotbranding.aspx>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

No, Barack Obama Isn't Handing Control of the Internet Over to China The misguided freakout over ICANN

On March 14, the U.S. government announced that it would seek to relinquish a privileged role in the management of Internet names and numbers. An organization called ICANN?the non-profit ICANN ?is to continue doing what it?s doing without maintaining an ongoing contract with the Department of Commerce to do it. And what does ICANN do? It helps keep IP addresses in order, ensuring that each address?used to let parties on the Internet identify one another?is not assigned more than once. And it facilitates the addition of ?TLDs,? those suffixes like .com, .org, .uk, and more recently, .clothing, which, with a concatenation of names to their left, become the names for nearly all online destinations, including newrepublic.com. A receding role for the U.S. government has been anticipated for over a decade, and the move is both wise and of little impact. Some reaction has been surprisingly alarmist.

< <http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117093/us-withdraws-icann-why-its-no-big-deal> http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117093/us-withdraws-icann-why-its-no-big-deal>

ICANN?s proposed IANA transition process and scope rebuffed by Brenden Kuerbis

ICANN has concluded its call for public input concerning its proposed IANA transition draft process and scoping document. The main takeaway from this input? ICANN?s proposed draft process and scoping document have been thoroughly beaten up by the community

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/05/13/icanns-proposed-iana-transition-process-and-scope-rebuffed/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/05/13/icanns-proposed-iana-transition-process-and-scope-rebuffed/>

House Committees Taking Aim at IANA Transition Proposal by Philip S. Corwin

In an unanticipated move a third Committee of the US House of Representatives has weighed in with concerns regarding the NTIA's proposed transition of the US role as counterparty to ICANN's IANA functions contract to one with the "global multistakeholder community". On May 13th the House Armed Services Committee Report for HR 4435, the Defense Authorization bill, was released.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_house_committees_taking_aim_at_iana_transition_proposal/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_house_committees_taking_aim_at_iana_transition_proposal/>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

WHOIS Online Accuracy Reporting System: Request for Proposal

ICANN is seeking one or more providers to assist ICANN in the development, operation, and maintenance of the WHOIS Online Accuracy Reporting System.

< <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-16may14-en.htm> http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-16may14-en.htm>

New Contracting Statistics Released

Below are the key Contracting statistics, as of 16 May 2014:

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-16may14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-16may14-en>

ICANN FY13 Form 990

ICANN filed its Form 990 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013 with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on May 13, 2014 in compliance with the extended due date of May 15, 2014. The Form 990 is the United States return for organizations exempt from income taxes under section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code. ICANN continues to provide accountability and transparency regarding its financial results and the filed Form 990 is available on the "Financial Information for ICANN" page of the ICANN.org site and is also included in this announcement.

< <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15may14-en.htm> http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15may14-en.htm>

OVH Pulled Up By ICANN Due To Whois Format

OVH, a French registrar and hosting provider, has been sent a breach notice by ICANN. The registrar had not updated its whois format to be compliant with the 2013 RAA.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/05/16/ovh-pulled-icann-due-whois-format/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/05/16/ovh-pulled-icann-due-whois-format/>

INTA 2014: New gTLD update from IP constituency

The head of ICANN's IP constituency has told attendees at INTA's annual meeting to ?pay attention? to pending changes to the oversight of ICANN.

< <http://www.worldipreview.com/news/inta-2014-new-gtld-update-from-ip-constituency-6661> http://www.worldipreview.com/news/inta-2014-new-gtld-update-from-ip-constituency-6661>

ICANN asks: "how would you like your multistakeholder?" [subscription]

Following NTIA?s announcement of its "intent to transition key internet domain name functions to the global multistakeholder community", ICANN has sought to crystallise the views expressed at the 49th ICANN meeting and get the ball rolling on the transition process by publishing a "Call for Public Input? regarding the principles and mechanisms for developing a proposal to transition NTIA's stewardship of the IANA functions.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=89472170-abd0-44ef-a37a-f8545e9da3c4> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=89472170-abd0-44ef-a37a-f8545e9da3c4>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

auDA reviewing Community Geographic Domain Names

auDA invites public comments on the Policy Rules and Guidelines for Community Geographic Domain Names (CGDNs) by Friday 13 June 2014.

< <http://www.auda.org.au/news/auda-reviewing-community-geographic-domain-names/> http://www.auda.org.au/news/auda-reviewing-community-geographic-domain-names/>

Why should I register a .is domain?

The .is extension is not only beautiful for it self, it's unique in the way how well it fits with persons and companies names and adjectives, e.g. when building a search engine catchy domain sentance like: toyota.is/thebestcar/intheworld.

< <http://www.isnic.is/en/news/index.php> http://www.isnic.is/en/news/index.php>

First Cyrillic domain .?? turns four

Russia?s new ccTLD and the world?s first Cyrillic domain, .??, was registered on May 12, 2010. It is coordinated by the Coordination Center for TLD RU/??.

< <http://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=5719> http://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=5719>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

Blow for Amazon as ?.brand? gTLD application shot down

ICANN?s New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) has passed a resolution stating that Amazon?s application for the ?.Amazon? gTLD, as well as the related IDNs in Japanese and Chinese, should not proceed.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=03f8709f-c394-4f8f-a5a5-bfe35b480863> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=03f8709f-c394-4f8f-a5a5-bfe35b480863>

Amazon?s bid for .amazon is dead

ICANN has killed off Amazon?s application for the new gTLD .amazon, based on longstanding but extremely controversial advice from its Governmental Advisory Committee.

< <http://domainincite.com/16688-amazons-bid-for-amazon-is-dead> http://domainincite.com/16688-amazons-bid-for-amazon-is-dead>

INTA 2014: New gTLD update from IP constituency

The head of ICANN's IP constituency has told attendees at INTA's annual meeting to ?pay attention? to pending changes to the oversight of ICANN.

< <http://www.worldipreview.com/news/inta-2014-new-gtld-update-from-ip-constituency-6661> http://www.worldipreview.com/news/inta-2014-new-gtld-update-from-ip-constituency-6661>

>From New York to London to Berlin, the Race is on For City Dotbranding

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio recently announced the first ?sunrise? phase of the roll-out of the .nyc domain name prior to a full-scale public launch in October 2014.

< <http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2014/05/15/140515-City-Dotbranding.aspx> http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2014/05/15/140515-City-Dotbranding.aspx>

DNA Auction Plan to Reinvest Money Into Industry by Kurt Pritz

Love them or hate them, auctions are an unavoidable reality of the new TLD Program. By their very nature, they create winners and losers. All that is in doubt is where the money goes -- to the losing parties under a private auction model or to ICANN under their auction of last resort. There are pros and cons for both models. But what if there was another way?

< <http://www.thedna.org/news_dna_auction_plan.php> http://www.thedna.org/news_dna_auction_plan.php>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/05/16/dna-auction-plan-to-reinvest-money-into-industry-by-kurt-pritz/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/05/16/dna-auction-plan-to-reinvest-money-into-industry-by-kurt-pritz/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/dna-auction-plan-to-reinvest-money-into-industry-by-kurt-pritz.html> http://www.domainnews.com/dna-auction-plan-to-reinvest-money-into-industry-by-kurt-pritz.html>

New gTLDs: Is Internationalism the Solution? by Jean Guillon

Are international strings such as "club" and "rugby" the key to launch a successful TLD in Round 2 of the ICANN new gTLD program? Are "International TLDs" the key to a successful Registry? That is quite possible as the results of the recent .CLUB launching show that it generated lots of interest in a short period of time. The .CLUB registry is now number 3 on the list of most registered domain names with 37,806 domains registered and .EMAIL is in position 6.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_new_gtlds_is_internationalism_the_solution/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_new_gtlds_is_internationalism_the_solution/>

New gTLDs Will Work Way Better Than Vanity Domains Did by Jean Guillon

There are updates in the domain name business that I have never been able to understand: one of them is called "vanity domain names". A vanity domain name is a domain that keeps on using the first and the second level domain, to form a keyword; the third level domain is sometimes used too. Good examples of these would be: webc.am or marmala.de, aud.it or del.icio.us.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_new_gtlds_will_work_way_better_than_vanity_domains_did/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140515_new_gtlds_will_work_way_better_than_vanity_domains_did/>

New gTLD Domain Name Suspended by URS

With the offering of new gTLDs, consumers, domainers and companies can find, purchase and create domain sites that better represent who they are to the right of the dot. However, this can also create problems for those with already established trademarks and domain Domain for salenames.

< <http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/new-gtld-domain-name-suspended-by-urs.html> http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/new-gtld-domain-name-suspended-by-urs.html>

gTLD Domains at Top Auction Prices

There was a massive expansion of new gTLDs at the end of 2013. Having a more descriptive word to the right of the dot will give consumers, domainers and business owners the opportunity to expand their online presence with a domain name that will better represent who they are or more closely fit to what type of business they have.

< <http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/gtld-domains-at-top-auction-prices.html> http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/gtld-domains-at-top-auction-prices.html>

Your Domain and the TLD Expansion

With the addition of new TLDs, such as .discount and .cheap, being offered, it is highly recommended to brand owners that they take additional registration steps with ICANN to protect their trademarked domains. ICANN has recently formed the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH), which is a global, centralized database of domain names. The TMCH has been created so that brand owners can submit their trademark information to validate their rights to a particular mark and help protect such trademark holders during the expansion.

< <http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/your-domain-and-the-tld-expansion.html> http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2014/05/your-domain-and-the-tld-expansion.html>

Skeptical of the new gTLD insurgence? Finding the pi?ce de r?sistance ? the resistance

Will the launch of new gTLDs really transform the Internet as ICANN has envisioned? Without a doubt, the increase of gTLDs at the root level will create competition and diversity, and foster innovation ? simply because the option is there. Innovation takes time and often does not happen until the tools to foster it are in place. With new gTLDs, however, also comes resistance, as there is with any new concept that has the power to change an industry and the way we do business.

< <http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=8b82f70f-979a-4b8c-a546-01a2bd3cdd67> http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=8b82f70f-979a-4b8c-a546-01a2bd3cdd67>

Go-ahead given for Wales to have TLD presence with. wales and .cymru

Efforts at marketing Wales to the world have been boosted after the go-ahead was given for the country to have a TLD presence on the internet.

< <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/go-ahead-given-wales-top-level-7122943> http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/go-ahead-given-wales-top-level-7122943>

Now .wales is a thing

Ah the internet. You used to do know where you were with a .net or .com and definitely a .co.uk. Now it?s gone personalised domain bananas.

< <http://www.bitterwallet.com/domain-news-now-wales-is-a-thing/75111> http://www.bitterwallet.com/domain-news-now-wales-is-a-thing/75111>

.club misses first target but hopes to be #1 new gTLD ?within days?

.CLUB Domains failed to overtake .guru in its first week of general availability as promised, but the company is nevertheless upbeat about taking the number one spot ?within days?.

< <http://domainincite.com/16685-club-misses-first-target-but-hopes-to-be-1-new-gtld-within-days> http://domainincite.com/16685-club-misses-first-target-but-hopes-to-be-1-new-gtld-within-days>

.CLUB Continues to Separate Themselves From the Marketing Pack - Will 50 Cent's Appeal Produce a Downpour of Dollars for the New gTLD?

The issue of new gTLD marketing (or more precisely, the lack thereof) has been a recurring theme lately. In our current T.R.A.F.F.I.C. West conference preview article, show Co-Founder Rick Schwartz pointedly observed, "The vision thing is missing completely...if a gTLD is worthy of investment then they need to make their case...Many of these gTLDs are in danger of stalling, others are dying on the vine already and it is no wonder because we have seen a stunning lack of marketing from almost any of them."

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/201405015.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/201405015.htm>

Michael Gilmour: ?New gTLD?s Are Pathetic Comapred To Even .Net.Au?

Michael Gilmour of Parklogic.com, just published a post on his DomainNameLogic.com blog, saying that New gTLD?s are Pathetic even compared to a ccTLD, in this case Net.Au.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/16/michael-gilmour-new-gtlds-are-pathetic-comapred-to-even-net-au/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/16/michael-gilmour-new-gtlds-are-pathetic-comapred-to-even-net-au/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

Cyber experts tread carefully around the Internet

They know the risks of the Internet better than anyone, but most cyber experts still shop and bank online - with care.

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/15/us-cyber-summit-personalfinance-idINKBN0DV23B20140515> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/15/us-cyber-summit-personalfinance-idINKBN0DV23B20140515>

Critical Infrastructure Companies Continue to Patch Heartbleed

Industrial control systems manufacturers are continuing to discover and provide fixes for the OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability.

< <http://threatpost.com/critical-infrastructure-companies-continue-to-patch-heartbleed/106125> http://threatpost.com/critical-infrastructure-companies-continue-to-patch-heartbleed/106125>

POP! goes the phisher

Fraudsters are impersonating online banking websites in order to gain unauthorised access to customers' emails. Most online banking phishing sites simply try to steal whatever credentials are required to gain access to a victim's bank account, but by also gaining access to the victim's email account, the fraudster can prevent the victim from receiving any email alerts regarding account activity.

< <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/05/09/pop-goes-the-phisher.html> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/05/09/pop-goes-the-phisher.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Brand Owner Loses ? But Doesn?t Qualify As A Reverse Hijacker

During a recent presentation, I mentioned that the UDRP and its rule-sets is a complex area ? an area that is often underestimated by even experienced and expert trademark litigation counsel. The recent qualify.com case provides a good example, since the facts of this case ? and how the Policy was applied to them ? are anything but straightforward.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/05/12/brand-owner-loses-but-doesnt-qualify-as-a-reverse-hijacker/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/05/12/brand-owner-loses-but-doesnt-qualify-as-a-reverse-hijacker/>

Our Interview With The CEO Of Maccabim.com On The Serial Cybersquatter Detector

Last week we wrote about a new product called the Serial Cybersquatter Detector (SCD) Network powered by DomainTools and being run and marketed by Maccabim.com.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/15/our-interview-with-the-ceo-of-maccabim-com-on-the-serial-cybersquatter-detector/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/15/our-interview-with-the-ceo-of-maccabim-com-on-the-serial-cybersquatter-detector/>

ch: PLB International Inc. v. B?robedarf Lack AG / Pet Partner GmbH, Peter Wyser - Case No. DCH2013-0027

1. The Parties: The Claimant is PLB International Inc. of Qu?bec, Canada, represented by CMKZ Avocats, Canada. The Respondent is B?robedarf Lack AG / Pet Partner GmbH, Peter Wyser1 of Boningen, Switzerland. 2. Domain Names: The dispute concerns the domain names <pronature.ch> and <1stchoice.ch>. The Registry for the disputed domain names is SWITCH, Switzerland.

< <http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DCH2013-0027> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DCH2013-0027>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Security Concerns of IPv6-SLAAC and Security Policies to Diminish the Risk Associated with Them by Parul Sharma & Dr. Anup Girdhar [Cyber Times International Journal of Technology & Management]

Abstract: Though, IPV6 has presented a long list of features that will actually change the entire networking environment, it still represents a very small proportion of Internet traffic. One of the major reasons behind its partial acceptance is its security, as these features were incorporated in IPV6 just to enhance its overall performance and quality of service, thereby neglecting its security part.

< <http://ssrn.com/abstract=2434529> http://ssrn.com/abstract=2434529>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

IETF To Mitigate Pervasive Monitoring In Future Protocols

The IETF released RFC7258 which defines pervasive monitoring of Internet traffic and surveillance of online activity as an attack to be mitigated in all future IETF protocols.

< <http://threatpost.com/ietf-to-mitigate-pervasive-monitoring-in-future-protocols/106109> http://threatpost.com/ietf-to-mitigate-pervasive-monitoring-in-future-protocols/106109>

Communiqu? from the APTLD Meeting in Oman, May 11-13, 2014 by Don Hollander

The ability to use IDN TLDs, and non-ASCII characters in domain names generally remains challenging, but not an insurmountable problem with continued efforts by the Internet and Software communities. During three days of meetings in Oman organised by APTLD, delegates from 21 countries discussed the existing challenges and opportunities associated with IDNs and also heard of significant achievements made since the introduction of IDNs into the root.

< <http://www.aptld.org/system/files/share/1/communique_from_aptld_meeting_in_oman_v1.pdf> http://www.aptld.org/system/files/share/1/communique_from_aptld_meeting_in_oman_v1.pdf>

GoDaddy?s International Push: A Goal to Serve Very Small Businesses Everywhere

GoDaddy, a technology provider serving millions of very small businesses, has been on an aggressive expansion kick since 2013. And it?s most recent expansion announcement is for geographical products and services.The ability to use IDN TLDs1, and non-ASCII characters in domain names generally remains challenging, but not an insurmountable problem with continued efforts by the Internet and Software communities.

< <http://smallbiztrends.com/2014/05/godaddy-international-push-small-businesses.html> http://smallbiztrends.com/2014/05/godaddy-international-push-small-businesses.html>

OpenDNS Raises $35M To Block New And Undetected Cyber Threats

Cybersecurity vendor OpenDNS Inc. raised $35 million in an oversubscribed funding round as it continues to develop its ability to block threats that no other security company has found.

< <http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/05/15/opendns-raises-35m-to-block-new-and-undetected-cyber-threats/> http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/05/15/opendns-raises-35m-to-block-new-and-undetected-cyber-threats/>

OpenDNS raises $35 million

DNS service provider OpenDNS has raised $35 million in Series C funding, doubling its total raised capital to date, according to the company.

< <http://domainincite.com/16683-opendns-raises-35-million> http://domainincite.com/16683-opendns-raises-35-million>

IT chief Martin Mercer sees a host of new possibilities

THE new chief executive of listed web-hosting provider Melbourne IT wants to transform the business to have up to half its revenues coming from selling services to clients over the next three years to reduce its reliance on the highly competitive and commoditised domain hosting space.

< <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/it-chief-martin-mercer-sees-a-host-of-new-possibilities/story-e6frgakx-1226919393461> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/it-chief-martin-mercer-sees-a-host-of-new-possibilities/story-e6frgakx-1226919393461>

EDR: Guru renewals, NameJet, GoDaddy and more

In this week?s Expired Domain Report (EDR), Joseph Peterson takes a look at renewals of domains including the term ?guru?, hits and misses in this week?s expired domain sales, and some domains to backorder for next week.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/16/expired-domains-edr/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/16/expired-domains-edr/>

.?? has become an example for IDN domains in Asia Pacific

The Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association (APTLD) met in Oman on May 11-13, bringing together representatives of national registries from 14 Asian Pacific countries. Russia?s Coordination Center for TLD RU/?? has been a member of APTLD since 2010. The association?s 60th Members? Meeting was held in Moscow in 2012, with the Coordination Center hosting this major regional event.

< <http://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=5734> http://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=5734>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

See Tucows? new sales-focused parked page landers

Yesterday domain name registrar and portfolio holder Tucows told analysts it was trying something new to generate more aftermarket domain name sales.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/15/see-tucows-new-sales-focused-parked-page-landers/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/15/see-tucows-new-sales-focused-parked-page-landers/>

New Quarterly Sales Reports from Domain Holdings Bring Additional Insight to Current Aftermarket Trends

Domain Holdings opened a new window into domain aftermarket sales trends this week when the Florida-based brokerage company released the first report in what will be a quarterly series of reports breaking down domain sales at the well-known firm co-founded by John Ferber and Chad Folkening.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140516.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140516.htm>

Sedo 1&2 Character .Asia Domain Premium Auction ? May 13th ? 20th

With expanding economies and growing access to technology, Asia has one of the world?s largest and fastest growing Internet populations. Tap into this lucrative market by registering a .Asia domain now!

< <http://www.dot.asia/sedo-12-character-asia-domain-premium-auction-may-13th-20th/> http://www.dot.asia/sedo-12-character-asia-domain-premium-auction-may-13th-20th/>

Two buyers win Dots IP

Dots LLC can look ahead to a May 20 sale hearing after the retailer's intellectual property fetched $661,000 at auction.

< <http://www.thedeal.com/content/restructuring/two-buyers-win-dots-ip.php> http://www.thedeal.com/content/restructuring/two-buyers-win-dots-ip.php>

4 interesting things Tucows said on its conference call yesterday

Domain name registrar Tucows released its first quarter 2014 earnings yesterday. The investor conference call included four interesting comments/facts about the domain name side of the business.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/15/4-interesting-things-tucows/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/15/4-interesting-things-tucows/>

**********************

PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE

**********************

Greenwald hints to Colbert about the next big NSA revelation: ?One of the missing pieces is on whom is the NSA spying?

Last night, NSA whistleblower and Pulitzer-Prize-winning journalist Glenn Greenwald appeared on ?The Colbert Report.? There, Colbert raised every point that critics routinely jab at Greenwald and former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. Rather than a talking-head non-response, viewers got the fully formed answer from Greenwald himself. (If you had any sneaking doubts about the NSA leaks, this interview does a thorough job of answering them.)

< <http://www.salon.com/2014/05/13/greenwald_hints_to_colbert_about_the_next_big_nsa_revelation_one_of_the_missing_pieces_is_on_whom_is_the_nsa_spying/> http://www.salon.com/2014/05/13/greenwald_hints_to_colbert_about_the_next_big_nsa_revelation_one_of_the_missing_pieces_is_on_whom_is_the_nsa_spying/>

Right to be forgotten ruling highlights global reach of EU law by Daith? Mac S?thigh, Lecturer in Digital Media Law at University of Edinburgh

The Court of Justice of the European Union has issued a ruling that affects privacy and data protection for millions of people. But the ruling is also significant because of what it says about whether companies should comply with the law of the countries in which they do business.

< <http://theconversation.com/right-to-be-forgotten-ruling-highlights-global-reach-of-eu-law-26674> http://theconversation.com/right-to-be-forgotten-ruling-highlights-global-reach-of-eu-law-26674>

Google privacy ruling is just the thin end of a censorship wedge

Sooner or later, every argument about regulation of the internet comes down to the same question: is this the thin end of the wedge or not? We saw a dramatic illustration last week when the European court of justice handed down a judgment on a case involving a Spanish lawyer, one Mario Costeja Gonz?lez, who objected that entering his name in Google's search engine brought up embarrassing information about his past (that one of his properties had been the subject of a repossession).

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/17/google-privacy-ruling-thin-end-censorship-wedge> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/17/google-privacy-ruling-thin-end-censorship-wedge>

Don?t Force Google to ?Forget? by Jonathan Zittrain

The European Court of Justice ruled on Tuesday that Europeans have a limited ?right to be forgotten? by search engines like Google. According to the ruling, an individual can compel Google to remove certain reputation-harming search results that are generated by Googling the individual?s name. The court is trying to address an important problem ? namely, the Internet?s ability to preserve indefinitely all its information about you, no matter how unfortunate or misleading ? but it has devised a poor solution.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/opinion/dont-force-google-to-forget.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/opinion/dont-force-google-to-forget.html>

Google faces deluge of requests to wipe details from search index

Hundreds of people including an ex-politician seeking re-election, a paedophile and a doctor have applied to have details about them wiped from Google's search index since a landmark ruling in Europe on Tuesday.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/15/hundreds-google-wipe-details-search-index-right-forgotten> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/15/hundreds-google-wipe-details-search-index-right-forgotten>

**************************

BRAND PROTECTION & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

**************************

Apple and Google's Motorola end their legal war over smartphones

Apple and Google?s Motorola Mobility subsidiary have agreed to settle all patent litigation between them over smartphones, ending one of the highest-profile lawsuits in technology.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/17/apple-and-googles-motorola-end-their-legal-war> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/17/apple-and-googles-motorola-end-their-legal-war>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY

**************************

Germany issues break-up warning to Google

Google is facing a growing backlash in Germany from the country?s political and business elites, as European parliament elections loom and domestic industries worry over competition they view as unfair.

< <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/19c7d6a6-dd07-11e3-ba13-00144feabdc0.html> http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/19c7d6a6-dd07-11e3-ba13-00144feabdc0.html>

Trans-Pacific Partnership: Another Trade Liberalization Scam

The TPP represents not "freer" trade, but re-regulation of trade to entrench corporate profit making. Economist John Weeks skewers the free trade dogma that is the ideological justification and corporate sales pitch for neoliberal globalization.

< <http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/23740-trans-pacific-partnership-another-trade-liberalization-scam> http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/23740-trans-pacific-partnership-another-trade-liberalization-scam>

**********************

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

World first from Telstra ? 450Mbps achievable with LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation [news release]

This morning Telstra achieved a world first on its mobile network by demonstrating live network speeds of 450Mbps using LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation across a trial combination of 1800MHz and 2600MHz bands.

< <http://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/World%20first%20from%20Telstra%20?%20450Mbps%20achievable%20with%20LTE%20Advanced%20Carrier%20Aggregation> http://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/World first from Telstra ? 450Mbps achievable with LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation>

David Goldstein

 email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone:  <tel:%2B61%20418%20228%20605> +61 418 228 605 ? mobile /  <tel:%2B61%202%209663%203430> +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery