[DNS] auDA Domain News - 22 May

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 14:31:36 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Transition from U.S. Government has Four Work Tracks by Fadi Chehad?

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/transition-from-u-s-government-has-four-work-tracks/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/transition-from-u-s-government-has-four-work-tracks/>

EU urges U.S. to move faster to end Internet monopoly

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-eu-internet-idINBREA4K10X20140521> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-eu-internet-idINBREA4K10X20140521>

Women in online businesses and their ANZIA potential by Jo Lim, auDA COPO on 21 May 2014

< <http://www.auda.org.au/blog/women-in-online-businesses-and-their-anzia-potential/> http://www.auda.org.au/blog/women-in-online-businesses-and-their-anzia-potential/>

ICANN snubs Belgium, gives Donuts the all-clear for .spa

< <http://domainincite.com/16695-icann-snubs-belgium-gives-donuts-the-all-clear-for-spa> http://domainincite.com/16695-icann-snubs-belgium-gives-donuts-the-all-clear-for-spa>

.club pips .berlin to #2 spot

< <http://domainincite.com/16691-club-pips-berlin-to-2-spot> http://domainincite.com/16691-club-pips-berlin-to-2-spot>

Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total Exhaustion

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-05-20-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-05-20-en>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Transition from U.S. Government has Four Work Tracks by Fadi Chehad?

Nine weeks have passed since the U.S. government announced its intention to transition stewardship of the IANA functions to the global community. This landmark announcement requires a measured, thoughtful approach for how we ? the Internet community ? will map a route to a successful transition. Together, we must pool our efforts with a goal of producing an acceptable and timely proposal for a smooth transition.

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/transition-from-u-s-government-has-four-work-tracks/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/transition-from-u-s-government-has-four-work-tracks/>

EU urges U.S. to move faster to end Internet monopoly

The European Commission on Wednesday urged the United States to speed up its promised efforts to dilute U.S. influence over the governance of the Internet, saying it was time for America's monopoly to come to an end.

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-eu-internet-idINBREA4K10X20140521> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-eu-internet-idINBREA4K10X20140521>

Internet Governance Futures - Impact of Brazil Conference and Looking Forward: Remarks by Ambassador Daniel A. Sepulveda, Deputy Assistant Secretary and U.S. Coordinator for International Communications and Information Policy, Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs, Telecommunications and Media Forum LatAm, International Institute of Communications

We think that NETmundial, the global multistakeholder meeting on the future of Internet governance, held in Sao Paulo last month, took us a long way in that direction. It recognized that the Internet is a global resource which should be managed in the public interest and committed all but a few of its global participants committed to a future for Internet governance rooted in common principles and endorsed the multistakeholder process for addressing future challenges.

< <http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2014/226278.htm> http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2014/226278.htm>

Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms Builds on NETmundial Momentum by Nora Abusitta

Yesterday, the Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms released the culmination of its work in a high level report that can be viewed here. I was privileged to lead the ICANN team working with the panelists at an exciting time in the evolution of Internet governance discussions. As part of this incredible journey, I attended the NETmundial multistakeholder meeting in Brazil and witnessed the creation of the historic Multistakeholder Statement of S?o Paulo: a document this Panel helped shape and subsequently built upon.

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/panel-on-global-internet-cooperation-and-governance-mechanisms-builds-on-netmundial-momentum/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/panel-on-global-internet-cooperation-and-governance-mechanisms-builds-on-netmundial-momentum/>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

Feedback Encouraged on ICANN?s Draft Five-Year Strategic Plan (FY 2016 ? 2020) by Steve Crocker

Since its inception in 1998, the ICANN community has never faced a greater rate or scope of change than it faces today ? or will continue to face in the coming five years. This makes coalescing our global community around a new overarching vision and long-term strategic plan for ICANN critical. The Board has asked the public for feedback on a Draft Five-Year Strategic Plan (FY 2016 ? 2020) and I encourage you to share your input. We have extended the public comment period through 27 June 2014.

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/feedback-encouraged-on-icanns-draft-five-year-strategic-plan-fy-2016-2020/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/feedback-encouraged-on-icanns-draft-five-year-strategic-plan-fy-2016-2020/>

Paying it Forward by Joe Catapano

Last week, I experienced a flashback, a touch of d?j? vu you might say, as we welcomed 60 undergraduate college students into ICANN?s Washington, DC office.

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/paying-it-forward/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/paying-it-forward/>

Update on Registry Agreement Specification 13 by Cyrus Namazi, Vice President, Domain Name Services, ICANN Global Domains Division

As reported earlier, Specification 13 to the Registry Agreement was approved by the NGPC on 26 March 2014. Specification 13 provides limited accommodations to registry operators of TLDs that qualify as ?.Brand TLDs? and reflects months of discussions on many key issues raised by the community during the public comment forum and other community outreach.

< <http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/update-on-registry-agreement-specification-13/> http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/update-on-registry-agreement-specification-13/>

ICANN says Verisign should stay in charge of root zone

Verisign should stay in its key role in root zone management after the IANA transition process is complete, according to ICANN CEO Fadi Chehade.

< <http://domainincite.com/16698-icann-says-verisign-should-stay-in-charge-of-root-zone> http://domainincite.com/16698-icann-says-verisign-should-stay-in-charge-of-root-zone>

ICANN To Open Up Comment Period On Donuts Request To Allow 2 Letter New gTLD?s

ICANN just posted a letter it send to Jon Nevett of Donuts regarding its request to release all 2 letter new gTLD domain in all the strings that Donuts has signed contracts with.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/19/icann-to-open-up-comment-period-on-donuts-request-to-allow-2-letter-new-gtlds/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/19/icann-to-open-up-comment-period-on-donuts-request-to-allow-2-letter-new-gtlds/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Women in online businesses and their ANZIA potential by Jo Lim, auDA COPO on 21 May 2014

Last year, market research commissioned by auDA and AusRegistry showed that women are under-represented in domain name ownership ? just 16% of female respondents owned a domain name, compared with 32% of male respondents. It was suggested that one reason for this disparity may be the higher proportion of male small business owners, which is a key driver of domain name sales.

< <http://www.auda.org.au/blog/women-in-online-businesses-and-their-anzia-potential/> http://www.auda.org.au/blog/women-in-online-businesses-and-their-anzia-potential/>

Anonymous attempts attack on US .mil domain

Unknown hacktivists attempted to disrupt the operation of United States armed forces webservers yesterday by launching what is thought to be a denial of service attack against hosts in the .mil TLD.

< <http://www.itnews.com.au/News/386023,anonymous-attempt-attack-on-us-mil-domain.aspx> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/386023,anonymous-attempt-attack-on-us-mil-domain.aspx>

.UK domains ? What they mean for your business

Domain names are changing and for British businesses it?s time to get used to the presence of shorter web addresses. Daniel Foster, director at website-hosting company 34SP.com, looks at what the repercussions of the slimmed-down .uk domain could be.

< <http://www.growthbusiness.co.uk/growing-a-business/business-tools/2463482/uk-domains-what-they-mean-for-your-business.thtml> http://www.growthbusiness.co.uk/growing-a-business/business-tools/2463482/uk-domains-what-they-mean-for-your-business.thtml>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

ICANN snubs Belgium, gives Donuts the all-clear for .spa

ICANN has rejected demands by the Belgian government by giving Donuts the go-ahead to proceed with its application for .spa, which Belgium says infringes on a geographic name.

< <http://domainincite.com/16695-icann-snubs-belgium-gives-donuts-the-all-clear-for-spa> http://domainincite.com/16695-icann-snubs-belgium-gives-donuts-the-all-clear-for-spa>

Clinton.democrat sold to some guy in Kansas

Some guy in Kansas registered the domain name clinton.democrat before Rightside?s new gTLD went into general availability today.

< <http://domainincite.com/16700-clinton-democrat-sold-to-some-guy-in-kansas> http://domainincite.com/16700-clinton-democrat-sold-to-some-guy-in-kansas>

Investing in the present

At the time of writing, there have been some 600,000 registrations across new TLDs, and some interesting launch strategies, and business models. For our part, at Famous Four Media, we embraced ?the channel?; that is to say we believe in the existing domain name system, and don?t think registries should be innovating with new business models or whacky pricing schemes at the moment, rather for now we believe that innovation should remain the province of the registrant. I draw your attention to two other registry operators whose business model appears similar to Famous Four Media?s in this respect, but of course remain very different in other ways: .CLUB & Donuts.

< <http://blog.famousfourmedia.com/2014/05/19/investing-in-the-present/> http://blog.famousfourmedia.com/2014/05/19/investing-in-the-present/>

Famous Four: ?Why Domain Investors Should Embrace New gTLD?s Today? I Have Some Thoughts

Famous Four Media (FFM) an application for more than 50 new gTLD?s just published a blog post entitled ?Why domain name investors should embrace new gTLDs today?

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/21/famous-four-why-domain-investors-should-embrace-new-gtlds-today-i-have-some-thoughts/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/21/famous-four-why-domain-investors-should-embrace-new-gtlds-today-i-have-some-thoughts/>

.club pips .berlin to #2 spot

.CLUB Domains moved into the number two spot on the new gTLD league table overnight, but its growth appears to be slowing.

< <http://domainincite.com/16691-club-pips-berlin-to-2-spot> http://domainincite.com/16691-club-pips-berlin-to-2-spot>

African Union-sponsored gTLD suffers major setback [Computerworld Zambia]

The launch of the .africa gTLD, sponsored by the African Union, will have to wait until the resolution of a legal dispute over how the management of the domain was awarded.

< <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/3520769/african-union-sponsored-gtld-suffers-major-setback/> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/3520769/african-union-sponsored-gtld-suffers-major-setback/>

Dotafrica Dispute Causes More Delays

The launch of the .africa TLD by the ZACR has been delayed due to the ongoing Independent Review Process between ICANN and DotConnectAfrica (DCA), Neil Dundas, Chief Operating Officer of the South Africa-based ZA Central Registry (ZACR) said.

< <http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/05/dotafrica-dispute-causes-delays/> http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/05/dotafrica-dispute-causes-delays/>

< <http://allafrica.com/stories/201405200786.html> http://allafrica.com/stories/201405200786.html>

Will DNA?s new TLD auction proposal kickstart contention set resolution?

New TLD applicants in contention sets have two remaining options for resolving who gets to ?own? each string: Settle it amongst themselves or participate in an ICANN ?auction of last resort?.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/19/domain-name-association-tld-auction/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/19/domain-name-association-tld-auction/>

Universal Acceptance of All TLDs Now!

Universal acceptance of TLDs hasn?t really meant much to most Internet users up until now. As long as .COM was basically the default TLD, there wasn?t much of an issue.

< <http://post.milathan.com/?p=136> http://post.milathan.com/?p=136>

Some of these new TLDs are doing quite well

There are a lot of new TLDs I?d like to own as a business right now. Many of them. Consider .guru, which has about 57,000 domains registered and is growing by 100-200 names a day.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tld-results/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tld-results/>

New TLDs and a lack of price caps

One issue many people think may be a ticking time bomb with consumers and new TLDs is a lack of price controls. I was reminded of this today by some comments on another post.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tlds-and-a-lack-of-price-caps/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tlds-and-a-lack-of-price-caps/>

Will anyone buy .luxury names?

The new gTLD .luxury went into general availability this afternoon, having reported a surprisingly promising sunrise period, but will it attract any interest from early-bird registrants?

< <http://domainincite.com/16693-will-anyone-buy-luxury-names> http://domainincite.com/16693-will-anyone-buy-luxury-names>

Big new TLDs week: .Luxury, Rightside and Travel Bonanza

An $800-per-year domain launches, Rightside hits GA, Donuts has a travel-focused week, and .best tries not to be .worst.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/19/new-tlds-luxury-rightside/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/19/new-tlds-luxury-rightside/>

New gTLD Marketing is What Interests Me Most

I think I?ve made it pretty clear that for better or worse, I am primarily on the sidelines when it comes to the new gTLD domain names. I would rather pay more for good names in a year or two (or longer) than buy new domain names now because I can determine whether they have enough investment value for my company at a later date. At this point, I have no idea whether it will be feasible for a domain investor to make money from the new domain names, so I am not buying many.

< <http://www.domaininvesting.com/new-gtld-marketing-interests/> http://www.domaininvesting.com/new-gtld-marketing-interests/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

U.S. Indicts Five Chinese Army Officers for Alleged Cyberespionage Operations

The United States government on Monday made an unprecedented move in its efforts to combat cyberespionage operations against American companies, efforts that until now had mainly consisted of strongly worded statements and diplomacy. The Department of Justice indicted five officers of the Chinese People?s Liberation Army for allegedly hacking into networks run by companies such as U.S. Steel, Westinghouse and Alcoa and stealing proprietary information that allegedly then was passed on to Chinese-owned companies.

< <http://threatpost.com/u-s-indicts-five-chinese-army-officers-for-alleged-cyberespionage-operations/106148> http://threatpost.com/u-s-indicts-five-chinese-army-officers-for-alleged-cyberespionage-operations/106148>

5 in China Army Face U.S. Charges of Cyberattacks

In the Obama administration?s most direct confrontation with China over its theft of corporate secrets, the Justice Department on Monday unsealed an indictment of five members of the Chinese People?s Liberation Army and charged them with hacking into the networks of Westinghouse Electric, the United States Steel Corporation and other companies.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/us/us-to-charge-chinese-workers-with-cyberspying.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/us/us-to-charge-chinese-workers-with-cyberspying.html>

US Justice Department to charge Chinese military officials with hacking [IDG]

The U.S. Department of Justice is preparing to charge Chinese military officials with hacking US companies to obtain trade secrets.

< <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/051914-us-justice-department-to-charge-281696.html> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/051914-us-justice-department-to-charge-281696.html>

U.S. accuses China of cyber spying on American companies

The United States on Monday charged five Chinese military officers and accused them of hacking into American nuclear, metal and solar companies to steal trade secrets, ratcheting up tensions between the two world powers over cyber espionage.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-idUKKBN0DZ1BQ20140519> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-idUKKBN0DZ1BQ20140519>

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/us-cybercrime-usa-china-announcement-idINKBN0DZ1HV20140519> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/us-cybercrime-usa-china-announcement-idINKBN0DZ1HV20140519>

China: U.S. cyber spying accusations 'made up' and will damage trust

China's Foreign Ministry issued a strongly-worded statement on Monday, saying a U.S. grand jury indictment of five Chinese military officials was "made up" and would "damage Sino-American cooperation and mutual trust".

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-response-idUKKBN0DZ1FV20140519> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-response-idUKKBN0DZ1FV20140519>

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-response-idINKBN0DZ1P720140519> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-response-idINKBN0DZ1P720140519>

In cyber spying row, Chinese media call U.S. a 'mincing rascal'

Chinese state media labelled the United States a "mincing rascal" and "high-level hooligan" on Wednesday in response to Washington charging five Chinese military officers with hacking U.S. companies to steal trade secrets.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-media-idUKKBN0E107K20140521> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/uk-cybercrime-usa-china-media-idUKKBN0E107K20140521>

Fine Line Seen in U.S. Spying on Companies

The National Security Agency has never said what it was seeking when it invaded the computers of Petrobras, Brazil?s huge national oil company, but angry Brazilians have guesses: the company?s troves of data on Brazil?s offshore oil reserves, or perhaps its plans for allocating licenses for exploration to foreign companies.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/business/us-snooping-on-companies-cited-by-china.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/business/us-snooping-on-companies-cited-by-china.html>

The U.S., China and Internet Glass Houses

That was quite a show the government put on Monday. The dramatic press conference featuring Attorney General Eric Holder, the coordinated press leaks ahead of the announcement, the strong statements about the sanctity of American commerce and how the United States will prosecute those who conduct cyberespionage against American targets. There were even cyber-wanted posters. All that was missing was a folding table loaded down with the weapons of choice: hard drives, mouses and keyboards.

< <http://threatpost.com/the-u-s-china-and-internet-glass-houses/106173> http://threatpost.com/the-u-s-china-and-internet-glass-houses/106173>

American espionage allegations 'enormously significant' says security analyst

Dr Tobias Feakin from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute says it is "enormously significant" that the United States is making such specific allegations against Chinese officials.

< <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-20/american-espionage-allegations-enormously/5465676> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-20/american-espionage-allegations-enormously/5465676>

DOJ's charges against China reframe security, surveillance debate [IDG]

The U.S. Department of Justice's decision to bring computer hacking and economic espionage charges against five alleged members of the Chinese army is an attempt by President Barack Obama's administration to redirect a global discussion about cyberhacking and surveillance, some cybersecurity experts said.

< <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248444/DOJ_39_s_charges_against_China_reframe_security_surveillance_debate> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248444/DOJ_39_s_charges_against_China_reframe_security_surveillance_debate>

Hacker indictments against China's military unlikely to change anything

The U.S. government's decision Monday to formally indict five members of the Chinese military on criminal hacking charges marks a significant escalation of what until now has been largely a war of words between officials of both countries.

< <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248435/Hacker_indictments_against_China_s_military_unlikely_to_change_anything> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248435/Hacker_indictments_against_China_s_military_unlikely_to_change_anything>

< <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/051914-hacker-indictments-against-china39s-military-281723.html> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/051914-hacker-indictments-against-china39s-military-281723.html>

Cybertheft allegations by the US are 'absurd'

Washington's reasoning behind the indictment of five People's Liberation Army officers for spying is absurd, said the Chinese ambassador to the United States.

< <http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-05/22/content_17532000.htm> http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-05/22/content_17532000.htm>

Chinese Hacking Charges a Wakeup Call for Both China & US Businesses

Indictments open the door for more aggressive US litigation of intellectual property theft by China -- but with possible costs to US businesses.

< <http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/chinese-hacking-charges-a-wakeup-call-for-both-china-and-us-businesses/d/d-id/1269057> http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/chinese-hacking-charges-a-wakeup-call-for-both-china-and-us-businesses/d/d-id/1269057>

Hosting Provider Plagued by DDoS Attacks on Torrent Sites

Several torrent sites hosted at Genious Communications have been suffering from DDoS attacks of up to 30 gigabits per second. Thus far the identity of those behind the attacks remains a mystery, but the CEO of the hosting service isn't ruling out the involvement copyright watchdogs.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/hosting-provider-plagued-ddos-attcks-torrent-sites-140520/> http://torrentfreak.com/hosting-provider-plagued-ddos-attcks-torrent-sites-140520/>

Ebay urges users to reset passwords after cyberattack

Auction site eBay has urged users to change their passwords after suffering what may have been the biggest-ever cyber-attack when hackers broke into a database holding its 233m customers? personal data.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/21/ebay-urges-users-to-reset-passwords-after-cyberattack> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/21/ebay-urges-users-to-reset-passwords-after-cyberattack>

EBay Urges New Passwords After Breach

In the latest prominent breach of a company?s computer network, hackers have infiltrated the online marketplace eBay, gaining access to the personal data of 145 million customers, the company said on Wednesday.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/technology/ebay-reports-attack-on-its-computer-network.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/technology/ebay-reports-attack-on-its-computer-network.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Student Wins Pirate Bay Domain To Protest Website Blockades

A student has been awarded a valuable Pirate Bay-related domain after successfully complaining to Denmark's domain name dispute body. ThePirateBay.dk will now be taken away from its current owner and transformed into a special site to protest the ISP blockade of The Pirate Bay in Denmark.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/student-wins-pirate-bay-domain-to-protest-website-blockades-140520/> http://torrentfreak.com/student-wins-pirate-bay-domain-to-protest-website-blockades-140520/>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total Exhaustion

ICANN announced today that it has begun the process of allocating the remaining blocks of Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) addresses to the five Regional Internet Registries (RIR). The activation of this procedure was triggered when Latin America and Caribbean Network Information Centre's (LACNIC) supply of addresses dropped to below 8 million

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-05-20-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-05-20-en>

IP Addresses in Cars, Car Manufacturers as Internet Registries? - Another Need for IPv6 Now! by Mukom Akong Tamon

I recently came across an interesting piece about the use of IP addresses in the Tesla model S. The part that caught my attention and led to this post is that the car uses the private IPv4 address subnet 192.168.90.0/24 to address different nodes e.g. the centre console is 192.168.90.100 and the dashboard/navigation screen is 192.168.90.101. Put your geek hat on for a moment as you ponder that!

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140519_ip_addresses_in_cars_car_manufacturers_as_internet_registries/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140519_ip_addresses_in_cars_car_manufacturers_as_internet_registries/>

More IPv4 exhaustion warnings as ICANN address stocks dwindle further

The impending exhaustion of the IPv4 address space has been raised as an issue once more by ICANN, as it begins allocating the remaining blocks of addresses to the five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs).

< <http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2345955/more-ipv4-exhaustion-warnings-as-icann-address-stocks-dwindle-further> http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2345955/more-ipv4-exhaustion-warnings-as-icann-address-stocks-dwindle-further>

Webinar Tomorrow (May 22) - IPv6 and Telecom: IPv4 is Finally Running Out. Now What? by Dan York

What is the impact of IPv6 on telecommunications, VoIP, unified communications, etc? Why should telecom operators care about IPv6? What VoIP systems already support IPv6? What efforts are underway within organizations like the IETF and the SIP Forum to ensure that telecommunications can work over IPv6?

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140521_webinaripv6_and_telecom_ipv4_is_finally_running_out_now_what/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140521_webinaripv6_and_telecom_ipv4_is_finally_running_out_now_what/>

IANA starts handing out recovered IPv4 addresses

As IPv4 address-exhaustion shambles ever closer, IANA has begun handing out recovered addresses.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/22/iana_starts_handing_out_recovered_ipv4_addresses/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/22/iana_starts_handing_out_recovered_ipv4_addresses/>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

New lawsuit accuses Google of AdSense fraud

A lawsuit filed Tuesday against Google accuses the tech titan of engaging in widespread fraud by canceling AdSense accounts just before they were due to pay out.

< <http://www.cnet.com/au/news/new-lawsuit-accuses-google-of-adsense-fraud/> http://www.cnet.com/au/news/new-lawsuit-accuses-google-of-adsense-fraud/>

Bad Reputation by Association ? Hidden Dangers for International Search Marketers

Although many business owners diligently follow common international expansion best practices, they need to make sure they do their homework in order to avoid unnecessary headaches, which could mean the end of their business abroad. ... The option of geo-targeting is one of the important action items for the international SEO. There are various ways to set the geo-targeting, and using local domains (ccTLDs) or hosting your website locally are two of the most popular and well-known ways to send the right geo-setting signals to the search engines. So how could anything go wrong, when you follow this most basic of international SEO best practices?

< <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2345871/bad-reputation-by-association-hidden-dangers-for-international-search-marketers> http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2345871/bad-reputation-by-association-hidden-dangers-for-international-search-marketers>

**********************

- WEBHOSTING

**********************

au: Crazy Domains loses web hosting data, as startups suffer

Cut-price internet services provider Crazy Domains has offered just $100 to compensate customers for losing their web hosting data.

< <http://www.startupsmart.com.au/technology/crazy-domains-loses-web-hosting-data-as-startups-suffer/2014051912326.html> http://www.startupsmart.com.au/technology/crazy-domains-loses-web-hosting-data-as-startups-suffer/2014051912326.html>

Internet Infrastructure Provider M247 Acquires UK Web.Solutions Direct

Internet infrastructure provider M247 announced on Tuesday that has acquired London-based UK Web.Solutions Direct for an undisclosed amount

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/internet-infrastructure-m247-acquires-ukwsd> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/internet-infrastructure-m247-acquires-ukwsd>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Unveils New Details About Next Week's Show in Las Vegas - Otherwise to Perform at Official Show Party

The 2014 T.R.A.F.F.I.C. West conference is coming up next week at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas and show organizers just released some interesting new details about the big event today.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140519.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140519.htm>

---------
David Goldstein

email: david at goldsteinreport.com
web:  http://davidgoldstein.tel/
         http://goldsteinreport.com/
phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery