[DNS] auDA Domain News - 9 June

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:27:59 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Senate Appropriators Add IANA Transition Language as House Requests GAO Study and Civil Society Groups Oppose Shimkus Amendment by Philip S. Corwin

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/senate-approps-iana/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/senate-approps-iana/>

NTIA Escapes IANA Spending Restriction in Senate Spend Bill

< <http://www.bna.com/ntia-escapes-iana-b17179891061/> http://www.bna.com/ntia-escapes-iana-b17179891061/>

Europe and the Future of the Internet

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/europe-and-the-future-of-the-internet.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/europe-and-the-future-of-the-internet.html>

NTIA IANA Functions' Stewardship Transition - Process to Develop the Proposal and Next Steps

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-06-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-06-en>

ICANN suppresses a privacy advocate?s dissent by Milton Mueller

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/06/07/icann-suppresses-a-privacy-advocates-dissent/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/06/07/icann-suppresses-a-privacy-advocates-dissent/>

How NetSol opts you in to cybersquatted .xyz names

< <http://domainincite.com/16792-how-netsol-opts-you-in-to-cybersquatted-xyz-names> http://domainincite.com/16792-how-netsol-opts-you-in-to-cybersquatted-xyz-names>

.xyz is now the biggest new gTLD (kinda)

< <http://domainincite.com/16780-xyz-is-now-the-biggest-new-gtld-kinda> http://domainincite.com/16780-xyz-is-now-the-biggest-new-gtld-kinda>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Senate Appropriators Add IANA Transition Language as House Requests GAO Study and Civil Society Groups Oppose Shimkus Amendment by Philip S. Corwin

The Senate Appropriations Committee just reported out on June 5th its version of the Commerce-Justice-State Departments Appropriations bill for FY 15. In the course of its deliberations it added a consensus amendment on the IANA transition offered by Sen. Mike Johanns (R-NE). The amendment reads:

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/senate-approps-iana/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/senate-approps-iana/>

NTIA Escapes IANA Spending Restriction in Senate Spend Bill

The Senate Appropriations Committee today approved the Fiscal Year 2015 Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Bill. It appears that the National Telecommunications and Information Administration has been spared, for the time being, yet another congressional attempt to slow down NTIA's planned transition of its supervisory role over key DNS administration functions now performed by ICANN.

< <http://www.bna.com/ntia-escapes-iana-b17179891061/> http://www.bna.com/ntia-escapes-iana-b17179891061/>

Republicans Request GAO Report On Internet Name Hand-off

House Energy & Commerce Republican leaders have asked for a Government Accountability Office study of the National Telecommunications & Information Administration's plan to transfer oversight of Internet domain naming functions (ICANN) to a global multistakeholder model.

< <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/republicans-request-gao-report-internet-name-hand/131608> http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/republicans-request-gao-report-internet-name-hand/131608>

NETmundial meeting seeks to chart future of internet governance [subscription]

The NETmundial Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance saw over 800 delegates from around the world seek to chart the future of internet governance and debate the key principles on which the Internet should evolve. The meeting culminated in a (non-binding) eight-page statement discussing two critical factors: the principles of internet governance and a roadmap for the future evolution of the ?internet governance ecosystem?.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=31f61983-dc0e-4805-81fa-48064191bea0> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=31f61983-dc0e-4805-81fa-48064191bea0>

Europe and the Future of the Internet

>From Net Neutrality to the protection of privacy ? at the European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG) the theme is no less than the future of the Internet. Stakeholders from industry, governments, academia and the civil society will be exchanging ideas at the most important Internet dialogue at the European level, on the 12 and 13 June in the German Foreign Office in Berlin.

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/europe-and-the-future-of-the-internet.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/europe-and-the-future-of-the-internet.html>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

NTIA IANA Functions' Stewardship Transition - Process to Develop the Proposal and Next Steps

ICANN today published a Process to Develop the Proposal and Next Steps that is the culmination of a series of community discussions and input into the process to develop a proposal to transition the IANA functions to the global multistakeholder community.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-06-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-06-en>

New Contracting Statistics Released

Below are the key Contracting statistics, as of 6 June 2014:

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-06jun14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-06jun14-en>

ICANN suppresses a privacy advocate?s dissent by Milton Mueller

ICANN?s Expert Working Group (EWG) on Whois and privacy, which published its final report today, has unfortunately continued a long tradition of failing to find consensus between privacy advocates and business interests. The business interests see coerced publication of domain name registration data as an invaluable aid to brand protection and law enforcement, and many brand protection services, who make their living on this data, do special interest lobbying to influence ICANN. ICANN?s staff and board consistently bias their processes in favor of those interests. So nothing has changed, in the end.

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/06/07/icann-suppresses-a-privacy-advocates-dissent/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/06/07/icann-suppresses-a-privacy-advocates-dissent/>

Commonwealth DNS Forum at #ICANN50 Venue

If you?re heading to London for the ICANN meeting at the end of the month you might consider going over a couple of days early for the Commonwealth DNS Forum. The event is being organised by The Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO), ICANN and Nominet.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/03/commonwealth-dns-forum-icann50-venue/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/03/commonwealth-dns-forum-icann50-venue/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Your .com Is Waiting

Thinking of growing your business online? Look no further than .com. It is the most universally recognized, and gold standard, in domain names, which is why 97 percent of the top 100 brands, and 93 percent of Fortune Global 100 companies house their company websites on .com.

< <http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/your_com_is_waiting> http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/your_com_is_waiting>

Translation of "JP Domain Name Registry Report 2013" Posted

JPRS posted English translation of "JP Domain Name Registry Report 2013." This is the annual report for 2013, briefing that year's activities performed by JPRS, in relation to its management and administration of .JP TLD.

< <http://jprs.co.jp/en/topics/2014/140606.html> http://jprs.co.jp/en/topics/2014/140606.html>

.no for everyone

Starting on 17 June, everyone in Norway can register their own domain name directly within .no. On this date .no is opened for private individuals.

< <http://www.norid.no/nytt/pressemelding20140606.en.html> http://www.norid.no/nytt/pressemelding20140606.en.html>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

How NetSol opts you in to cybersquatted .xyz names

Clear-cut cases of cybersquatting seem to be among those .xyz domain names that Network Solutions has registered to its customers without their explicit request.

< <http://domainincite.com/16792-how-netsol-opts-you-in-to-cybersquatted-xyz-names> http://domainincite.com/16792-how-netsol-opts-you-in-to-cybersquatted-xyz-names>

.xyz is now the biggest new gTLD (kinda)

The controversial new gTLD .xyz is now officially the biggest, with 67,504 domains under management.

< <http://domainincite.com/16780-xyz-is-now-the-biggest-new-gtld-kinda> http://domainincite.com/16780-xyz-is-now-the-biggest-new-gtld-kinda>

.XYZ is DEAD ? DISASTER! Daniel Negari Exposed! .XYZ down to 34th place! Where is Deals.xyz?

Daniel Negari has tried to lie and deceive everybody and climb his way up to the top spot of New gTLDs. Well guess what Daniel? You failed. .XYZ is down at the 34th place of new gTLDs ranking today.

< <http://onlinedomain.com/2014/06/04/news/xyz-is-dead-disaster-daniel-negari-exposed-xyz-down-to-34th-place-where-is-deals-xyz/> http://onlinedomain.com/2014/06/04/news/xyz-is-dead-disaster-daniel-negari-exposed-xyz-down-to-34th-place-where-is-deals-xyz/>

Domain disruption: Is .com pass??

The screen flickers and the hard drive hums. A man is seated hunched forward, concentrating on the screen. Click, click - a smile crosses his face. He has just placed the winning bid in an online auction for a new domain and now owns 'travel.global'.

< <http://www.cnbc.com/id/101737445> http://www.cnbc.com/id/101737445>

How Do You Measure Success?

As humans, there are many different ways we measure success. For some, success is all about money. For others success is about accomplishment and experience. Still others focus on health, or happiness, or family. In a balanced life, some element of all these things likely contributes to one?s measure of our own personal success.

< <http://nic.club/measure-success/> http://nic.club/measure-success/>

Afilias loses $600,000 auction for Chinese ?.info?

The results of the first ?auction of last resort? in the new gTLD program are in, and it?s a bit of a head-scratcher.

< <http://domainincite.com/16775-afilias-loses-600000-auction-for-chinese-info> http://domainincite.com/16775-afilias-loses-600000-auction-for-chinese-info>

Afilias wins .poker gTLD

The .poker contention set has been settled, apparently at last week?s Applicant Auction auction, leaving Afilias the winner.

< <http://domainincite.com/16773-afilias-wins-poker-gtld> http://domainincite.com/16773-afilias-wins-poker-gtld>

Papering the House Backfires on New gTLD Registry But Who is Really to Blame?

In my last post Tuesday I noted that people were wondering if registrar NetworkSolutions had given away thousands of .XYZ domain names at no charge. It was obvious that something highly irregular was going on because the zone files showed that over 70% of all .XYZ registrations had been made at NetworkSolutions, an expensive registrar that has a less than 5% share of most new gTLD registrations.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140605.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140605.htm>

Del Monte appeals new TLD lawsuit

Del Monte International is taking a dispute over new TLDs to the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/del-monte-appeals-domain-name-lawsuit/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/del-monte-appeals-domain-name-lawsuit/>

A Donut A Day: 32 Donuts gTLDs Coming In June

Six months after launching its first new gTLDs, Donuts has 16 more Sunrise launches in June and another 16 for general availability, including .dating, .events, .fitness, .community, .fish and .catering.

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/05/donuts-gtlds-in-june/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/05/donuts-gtlds-in-june/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/a-donut-a-day-32-donuts-gtlds-coming-in-june.html> http://www.domainnews.com/a-donut-a-day-32-donuts-gtlds-coming-in-june.html>

.London domain name: Can it benefit your online business?

And more specifically, will a .london address benefit your digital marketing efforts and online presence?

< <http://www.smeweb.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4845:can-a-dot-london-domain-benefit-your-online-business&catid=64:features&Itemid=102> http://www.smeweb.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4845:can-a-dot-london-domain-benefit-your-online-business&catid=64:features&Itemid=102>

?

Papering the House Backfires on New gTLD Registry But Who is Really to Blame?

In my last post Tuesday I noted that people were wondering if registrar NetworkSolutions had given away thousands of .XYZ domain names at no charge. It was obvious that something highly irregular was going on because the zone files showed that over 70% of all .XYZ registrations had been made at NetworkSolutions, an expensive registrar that has a less than 5% share of most new gTLD registrations.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140605.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140605.htm>

By the Numbers: .XYZ, .Reviews lead this week?s new TLD launches

I count nine new TLDs that launched this week, as I previewed on Monday.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/06/new-tld-launches/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/06/new-tld-launches/>

Famous Four?s First New gTLD?s Go Live Monday

Famous Four which applied for over 60 new gTLD?s first new gTLD?s are .Webcam, .Trade and .Bid.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/08/famous-fours-first-new-gtlds-go-live-monday/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/08/famous-fours-first-new-gtlds-go-live-monday/>

.Paris Takes Over the Eiffel Tower

Last night there was apparently a big event in Paris at the Eiffel Tower (Champs de Mars) and there were plenty of photos shared by the brands, companies and people in attendance.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/05/paris-takes-eiffel-tower/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/05/paris-takes-eiffel-tower/>

.Paris Pioneers Go Live Tomorrow

It looks like around 100 .paris domain names will be going live tomorrow as part of the .paris ?pioneer? program. Here are some of the well known names that will be first to get their .paris domain name:

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/03/paris-pioneers-go-live-tomorrow/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/03/paris-pioneers-go-live-tomorrow/>

London Joins the Rat Race

As of April 29th businesses across London were given the option of directly associating themselves with the UK capital and the brand of London.

< <http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/juan-lobato/london-joins-the-rat-race_b_5445893.html> http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/juan-lobato/london-joins-the-rat-race_b_5445893.html>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

The Internet of Things Expected to Bring New Security Threats: Report

IT decision makers at US SMBs are nearly unanimous that the Internet of Things (IoT) will produce negative impacts for their organizations, according to a survey released this week by GFI Software. While 96.5 percent of those surveyed expect at least some downside, 26.7 percent fear that device management will spiral out of control.

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/internet-things-expected-bring-new-security-threats-report> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/internet-things-expected-bring-new-security-threats-report>

Introducing the Verisign Quarterly DDoS Trends Report by Sean Leach

Today, I am very pleased to announce that Verisign is making its inaugural quarterly distributed denial of service (DDoS) trends report available. As the registry for .com and .net and a leading DDoS protection services provider, we have a unique view into online attack trends that enables us to collect attack statistics and behavioral trends that help inform the future outlook for Internet cyber security.

< <http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/introducing_the_verisign_quarterly_ddos> http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/introducing_the_verisign_quarterly_ddos>

The roles of Interpol and NEC in fighting cybercrime

On Monday (June 2, 2014), representatives from the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) and IT company NEC spoke on the issue of fighting cybercrime at the Interpol-NEC breakfast seminar held in Singapore.

< <http://www.mis-asia.com/tech/security/the-roles-of-interpol-and-nec-in-fighting-cybercrime/> http://www.mis-asia.com/tech/security/the-roles-of-interpol-and-nec-in-fighting-cybercrime/>

Energy makes prime target in cyber threat against infrastructure

In May, the US Department of Homeland Security revealed that the industrial control system of a public utility had been hacked by a ?sophisticated threat actor?.

< <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/156f73be-e29a-11e3-a829-00144feabdc0.html> http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/156f73be-e29a-11e3-a829-00144feabdc0.html>

How to Safeguard Brands from Abuse in Mobile Channels

We are excited to announce the launch of MarkMonitor Brand Protection? ? Mobile Apps. Consumers are flocking to mobile channels to research and make purchases and where consumers go, so do scammers.

< <https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/how-to-safeguard-brands-from-abuse-in-mobile-channels/> https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/how-to-safeguard-brands-from-abuse-in-mobile-channels/>

?Operation Tovar? Targets ?Gameover? ZeuS Botnet, CryptoLocker Scourge

The U.S. Justice Department is expected to announce today an international law enforcement operation to seize control over the Gameover ZeuS botnet, a sprawling network of hacked Microsoft Windows computers that currently infects an estimated 500,000 to 1 million compromised systems globally. Experts say PCs infected with Gameover are being harvested for sensitive financial and personal data, and rented out to an elite cadre of hackers for use in online extortion attacks, spam and other illicit moneymaking schemes.

< <http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/06/operation-tovar-targets-gameover-zeus-botnet-cryptolocker-scourge/> http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/06/operation-tovar-targets-gameover-zeus-botnet-cryptolocker-scourge/>

The war against cybercrime goes private

He takes on international criminals, refuses to be paid, and laughs in the face of danger. He has received death threats, cracked scams and helped police make arrests. Not a bad evening's work for a man who spends his day on the car assembly line.

< <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-war-against-cybercrime-goes-private-9506969.html> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-war-against-cybercrime-goes-private-9506969.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

When It Comes to Domain Names, It?s Not Easy Being Green

This week?s National Arbitration Forum decision involves the domain names greencycler.com and thegreencycler.com. The complainant, Greencycle, Inc., holds a trademark for Greencycle and uses the domain name greencycle.com to offer mulch, soil and stone. The respondent, Gail Loos/Ingenious Marketing, uses the domain names at issue to market a counter-top composting device. The respondent applied for a trademark for Greencycler in 2010, but the USPTO rejected the application in 2011, citing likelihood of confusion with the already-registered trademark for Greencycle (held by the complainant).

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/06/02/when-it-comes-to-domain-names-its-not-easy-being-green/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/06/02/when-it-comes-to-domain-names-its-not-easy-being-green/>

WatchSeries-Online.eu Domain ?Hijacked? ? Or Was It?

The domain of a large streaming movie and TV show site was hijacked yesterday and began diverting to an imposter site. That's the claim from WatchSeries-Online.ch, a site that in its previous form had been riding up towards the Alexa 1000. But is the real story as straightforward as that? Typically of these sites, absolutely not.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/watchseries-online-eu-hijacked-fake-site-warning-issued-140606/> http://torrentfreak.com/watchseries-online-eu-hijacked-fake-site-warning-issued-140606/>

Court rules for the first time that cybersquatting constitutes act of unfair competition [subscription]

A Vietnamese court has ordered the revocation of the domain name 'lafarge.com.vn' and given building materials giant Lafarge priority to register the domain name within 10 days of the date of revocation. This is only the second time that a brand owner has successfully recovered a '.vn' domain name through civil litigation, and the first time that a court has based its decision on the ground that cybersquatting constitutes an act of unfair competition.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=3bd14e7b-3473-462b-90ce-17c430bf351e> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=3bd14e7b-3473-462b-90ce-17c430bf351e>

Malaysian company guilty of Reverse Domain Name Hijacking for Spritzer.com

Chuan Sin Sdn. Bhd of Taiping, Perak, Malaysia has been found guilty of reverse domain name hijacking in its attempt to get the domain name Spritzer.com through a UDRP.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/06/spritzer/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/06/spritzer/>

Cartier recovers domain names under '.mx' policy [subscription]

In two separate domain name dispute proceedings brought before WIPO, French jeweller Cartier International AG has obtained the transfer of two ?.mx? domain names under the Dispute Resolution Policy on ?.mx? Domain Names, a variation of the UDRP. The decisions highlight the fact that trademark holders should closely monitor their brands in all ccTLDs.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=f52bf0e6-313d-4f7b-9206-648ea7c7c373> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=f52bf0e6-313d-4f7b-9206-648ea7c7c373>

au: Verizon Trademark Services LLC v. Jillian Pearce - Case No. DAU2014-0010

1. The Parties: The Complainant is Verizon Trademark Services LLC of Virginia, United States of America, represented by Clayton Utz Solicitors, Australia. The Respondent is Jillian Pearce of Australia. 2. The Domain Name and Registrar: The disputed domain name <verizon.net.au> (the "Disputed Domain Name") is registered with TPP Domains Pty Ltd. dba TPP Internet (the "Registrar").

< <http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0010> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0010>

au: Columbia Insurance Company v. The Chefs Toolbox Pty Limited - Case No. DAU2014-0005

1. The Parties: The Complainant is Columbia Insurance Company of Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America, represented by Madderns Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys, Australia. The Respondent is The Chefs Toolbox Pty Limited of Alexandria, Australia. 2. The Domain Name and Registrar: The disputed domain name <thepamperedchef.com.au> is registered with Web Address Registration Pty Ltd (the ?Registrar?).

< <http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0005> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0005>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Happy World IPv6 Launchiversary! Two Years Of Remarkable IPv6 Growth by Dan York

Happy Launchiversary! It's been two years since World IPv6 Launch in 2012, the day many major ISPs, home networking equipment manufacturers, and web companies around the world started permanently enabling IPv6 for their products and services.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140606_happy_world_ipv6_launch_two_years_of_remarkable_ipv6_growth/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140606_happy_world_ipv6_launch_two_years_of_remarkable_ipv6_growth/>

Singapore Power's new IPv6 smart infrastructure up and running

Networking platform and solutions provider Silver Spring Networks, Inc., announced today (Friday, June 6, 2014) a customer success today: the regional energy utility company Singapore Power Group (SP)-which owns and operates electricity and gas transmission and distribution businesses in Singapore and Australia-has started delivering deregulated energy services to its commercial and industrial (C&I) customers in Singapore

< <http://www.mis-asia.com/tech/industries/singapore-powers-new-ipv6-smart-infrastructure-up-and-running/> http://www.mis-asia.com/tech/industries/singapore-powers-new-ipv6-smart-infrastructure-up-and-running/>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Google: Keywords In Domain Aren't Needed For Ranking Well

Google's John Mueller posted a response in a Google Webmaster Help thread responding to someone asking if they need their keyword in their domain name.

< <http://www.seroundtable.com/google-keywords-domain-unnecessary-18667.html> http://www.seroundtable.com/google-keywords-domain-unnecessary-18667.html>

Netcraft June 2014 Web Server Survey

In the June 2014 survey we received responses from 968,882,453 sites, six million less than last month. The battle between Microsoft and Apache heated up this month, with Apache losing 13 million sites and Microsoft gaining 26 million. The resultant changes in market share have left Apache barely clinging onto the lead ? Microsoft is now only 0.15 percentage points behind. This is the closest Microsoft has ever been, giving it a good chance of taking the lead for the first time next month.

< <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/06/06/june-2014-web-server-survey.html> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/06/06/june-2014-web-server-survey.html>

au: What's the nasty new internet trend?

One day, Simon Mackay's business website was ranking on the front page of Google. The next, the listing had disappeared completely, which saw a drop of several thousand dollars in lost revenue. ... ?We discovered we were working with a recycled domain name, which our client had unknowingly purchased. The domain name has been penalised in a previous life by Google, which meant this business had to start all over again. It's so important to start a new business with a virgin domain name.?

< <http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/small-business/entrepreneur/whats-the-nasty-new-internet-trend-20140521-38n6u.html> http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/small-business/entrepreneur/whats-the-nasty-new-internet-trend-20140521-38n6u.html>

NANOG 61 by Geoff Huston

The recent NANOG 61 meeting was a pretty typical NANOG meeting, with a plenary stream, some interest group sessions, and an ARIN Public Policy session. The meeting attracted some 898 registered attendees, which was the biggest NANOG to date. No doubt the 70 registrations from Microsoft helped in this number, as the location for NANOG 61 was in Bellevue, Washington State, but even so the interest in NANOG continues to grow, and there was a strong European contingent, as well as some Japanese and a couple of Australians. The meeting continues to have a rich set of corridor conversations in addition to the meeting schedule. These corridor conversations are traditionally focused on peering, but these days there are a number of address brokers, content networks, vendors and niche industry service providers added to the mix. Here?s my impressions of some of the presentations at NANOG 61.

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2014-05/nanog61.html> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2014-05/nanog61.html>

Important Information Regarding Recent Changes at Moniker

To All Moniker Customers, This past weekend we launched a completely new Moniker experience which involved the release of an entirely new Moniker website and customer portal. Our goal is to increase the products and services we offer while at the same time maintaining a robust set of tools that enable clients to effectively manage their Web properties in a single place.

< <http://www.moniker.com/moniker/news-press-releases?news=48> http://www.moniker.com/moniker/news-press-releases?news=48>

Moniker CEO Bonnie Wittenburg discusses botched transition

It?s been a long week for Moniker and its customers. The company transitioned its entire platform over to Key-Systems? reseller platform over the weekend and it didn?t go as planned. Domains not set to renew were renewed, domains were missing from accounts, pricing was erroneous and other features didn?t work correctly.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/moniker-ceo-bonnie-wittenburg-discusses-botched-transition/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/moniker-ceo-bonnie-wittenburg-discusses-botched-transition/>

Moniker Launches New Website, Improved Support, and New gTLDs

Moniker, a KeyDrive S.A. Company and leading provider of domain name services, announced today the release of a brand refresh, which includes a website re-design, all-new customer shopping portal, and improved commitment to customer support. The announcement supports the KeyDrive executive team?s desire to reinvigorate the Moniker brand and focus efforts towards the building of international registrar operations and value added services.

< <http://www.moniker.com/moniker/news-press-releases?news=47> http://www.moniker.com/moniker/news-press-releases?news=47>

Melbourne IT secures cloud environment with Trend Micro

Melbourne IT has formed a strategic alliance with Trend Micro to integrate its deep security offering to provide an additional layer of security to its customers' cloud environments.

< <http://www.zdnet.com/melbourne-it-secures-cloud-environment-with-trend-micro-7000030276/> http://www.zdnet.com/melbourne-it-secures-cloud-environment-with-trend-micro-7000030276/>

**********************

- WEBHOSTING

**********************

Most Reliable Hosting Company Sites in May 2014

Qube had the most reliable hosting company site in May, with only one failed request. London-based Qube has performed remarkably well so far this year, fitting in with its vision to be the most reliable and trusted managed hosting company in the industry. As well as coming first three times so far this year, Qube also narrowly missed out on another first place in January.

< <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/06/04/most-reliable-hosting-company-sites-in-may-2014.html> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/06/04/most-reliable-hosting-company-sites-in-may-2014.html>

nz: Voyager hits back at AWOL telco

Following weeks of ambiguous messages, misleading social media posts and a failure to address the many Kiwi users left out in the cold, what is next for AWOL telco 24/7 Hosting NZ? Because of ongoing confusion and issues regarding the company, Voyager, who uses the business as one of its wholesale Domain Name customers, has sought to clarify its position with customers.

< <http://techday.com/telco-review/news/voyager-hits-back-at-awol-telco/185653/> http://techday.com/telco-review/news/voyager-hits-back-at-awol-telco/185653/>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

EDR: A look at 150 expired domain name auctions from the past week

This week?s Expired Domain Report from Joseph Peterson has close to 150 expired domain name auctions from last week. As always, some of the prices paid are head-scratchers.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/expired-domains-report-2/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/05/expired-domains-report-2/>

Profile.com Owner to Get $1.5 Million + Equity to Sell Domain in Deal Brokered by WebsiteProperties.com

If you follow our weekly domain sales reports you know Washington State based brokerage WebsiteProperties.com has put up some impressive sales numbers including Fix.com at $850,000, Shout.com at $450,000 and Kosher.com at $200,000, all in the final quarter of 2013 alone. This evening I got word from company President David Fairley that Website Properties has just gotten a signed contract on a deal that is bigger than those three put together.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140606.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140606.htm>

Hat Trick for Six-Figure Sales: Trio of High End Deals Lights Up This Week's Domain Sales Chart

After taking a break the previous week, high end buyers were back this past week to put three sales of $100,000 or more on our all extension leader board. Illustrious domain investor Garry Chernoff (whom Frank Schilling has credited as being one of his mentors) led the way, ringing up $110,000 for Scada.com in a deal brokered by DomainNameSales.com's Darryl Lopes.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140528.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140528.htm>

David Goldstein

 email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone:  <tel:%2B61%20418%20228%20605> +61 418 228 605 ? mobile /  <tel:%2B61%202%209663%203430> +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery