[DNS] auDA Domain News - 12 June

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:08:16 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Final "Mitigating the Risk of DNS Namespace Collisions Phase One" Report Published

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-10jun14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-10jun14-en>

50,000 Second Level .UK Domains Registered In 24 Hours, Beating All New gTLDs

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/12/50000-uk-domains-in-24-hours/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/12/50000-uk-domains-in-24-hours/>

Nominet's new rules on .uk domains could mean the end to users' privacy

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/11/nominet-new-rules-uk-domain-end-privacy> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/11/nominet-new-rules-uk-domain-end-privacy>

Stephen Fry Becomes First To Switch To 2nd Level .UK Domain

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk/>

New gTLD Registrations Pass One Million Mark In Dodgy Circumstances

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/09/new-gtld-pass-one-million-dodgy-circumstances/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/09/new-gtld-pass-one-million-dodgy-circumstances/>

Which new TLD is on top? Here?s one answer.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/which-new-tld-is-on-top-heres-one-answer/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/which-new-tld-is-on-top-heres-one-answer/>

au: Domain name buy-up widens levy divide

< <http://www.standard.net.au/story/2343246/domain-name-buy-up-widens-levy-divide/> http://www.standard.net.au/story/2343246/domain-name-buy-up-widens-levy-divide/>

GoDaddy files for $100m IPO

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/godaddy-files-for-100m-ipo> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/godaddy-files-for-100m-ipo>

GoDaddy to Tap Public Markets With I.P.O.

< <http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/godaddy-to-tap-public-markets-with-i-p-o/> http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/godaddy-to-tap-public-markets-with-i-p-o/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Inclusive governance for a global Internet by Vice President Neelie Kroes Speech at the World Summit on Information Society in Geneva, Tuesday 10 June 2014

Across the world I have seen the role that new technology can play. This is not just a toy for the happy few. Across the world it can cut poverty, promote and protect fundamental rights, empower individuals and groups by connecting them to unlimited opportunity. And so a tool for equal opportunities between men and women.

< <http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-14-447_en.htm> http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-14-447_en.htm>

The coming digital anarchy

Bitcoin is giving banks a run for their money. Now the same technology threatens to eradicate social networks, stock markets, even national governments. Are we heading towards an anarchic future where centralised power of any kind will dissolve? ... The banks aren?t the only institutions whose future is threatened. The blockchain has the power to uproot a number of our most recognisable dot coms. The internet, rife with accidental data leaks like eBay?s latest mishap and government eavesdropping, is crying out for anarchic disruption. Lack of trust in banks has become lack of trust in the guardians of cyberspace. There is a growing mood that nobody can be trusted with our money or our data.

< <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10881213/The-coming-digital-anarchy.html> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10881213/The-coming-digital-anarchy.html>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

Final "Mitigating the Risk of DNS Namespace Collisions Phase One" Report Published

ICANN today announced the publication of the final "Mitigating the Risk of DNS Namespace Collisions Phase One" report by JAS Global Advisors ("JAS").

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-06-10-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-06-10-en>

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-10jun14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-10jun14-en>

Civil Society at ICANN: Everything You Need to Know About the ICANN Meeting in London

Please join ICANN Vice Presidents Christopher Mondini and Nora Abusitta for a pre-ICANN 50 webinar for civil society participants.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-10-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-10-en>

Public Comment Invited: .NGO and .ONG Registry Services Evaluation Process Request ? Introduction of Technical Bundling

Public Interest Registry, the registry operator for .NGO and .ONG TLDs, submitted a request to provide a new registry service to offer support for mandatory technical bundling of second level domains for .NGO and .ONG.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2014-06-10-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2014-06-10-en>

Stephen D. Crocker, Chair | ICANN Board of Directors, to Heather Dryden

NGPC Meeting of 14 May 2014

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-2014-05-30-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-2014-05-30-en>

Stephen D. Crocker, Chair | ICANN Board of Directors, to Heather Dryden

Board responses to GAC non-gTLD matters from Singapore Communiqu?

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-2014-06-05-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-2014-06-05-en>

10 New gTLDs Recently Delegated.

View them now!

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-11jun14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-11jun14-en>

Peter J. Murray, CEO | International Medical Informatics Association, to Stephen Crocker, Fadi Chehad?, and Cherine Chalaby

Safeguards for Health Domains

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/murray-to-crocker-et-al-2014-06-02-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/murray-to-crocker-et-al-2014-06-02-en>

Dr. Elham M. A. Ibrahim, Commissioner, Infrastructure and Energy | African Union, to Mr. Fadi Chehad?

New gTLD application for .AFRICA

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/ibrahim-to-chehade-2014-06-02-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/ibrahim-to-chehade-2014-06-02-en>

Jean-Francois Baril Discusses the EWG Final Report

Brad White interviews EWG Lead Facilitator Jean-Francois Baril about Final Report on the Next Generation Registration Directory Service.

< <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HKCzSyDfw&feature=youtu.be> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HKCzSyDfw&feature=youtu.be>

Looking Back at ICANN: First Taste of Incumbent Intransigence, Congressional Oversight

This is the second in a series of posts I am writing prior to ICANN's 50th public meeting on June 22-26 in London. In honor of the occasion, I thought I should share some of Bloomberg BNA's coverage of ICANN over the past 16 years. Today's topic: ICANN's efforts to bring Network Solutions to heel, and its first tour of the House Rayburn Building.

< <http://www.bna.com/looking-back-icann-b17179891221/> http://www.bna.com/looking-back-icann-b17179891221/>

Will WHOIS be assassinated?

Last year I wrote about a plan to scrap Whois as we know it and replace it with a new Registration Directory Service (RDS).

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/11/will-whois-be-assassinated/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/11/will-whois-be-assassinated/>

Looking Back at ICANN: Fielding Tough Questions From Day One

ICANN will hold its 50th public meeting on June 22-26 in London. In honor of the occasion, I thought I should share some of Bloomberg BNA's coverage of ICANN over the past 16 years. This post will be the first of several in a series. Today's theme: early challenges to ICANN's legitimacy.

< <http://www.bna.com/looking-back-icann-b17179891181/> http://www.bna.com/looking-back-icann-b17179891181/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

ca: CIRA introduces advanced security to protect Canadians online

The Canadian Internet Registration Authority, the organization that manages the .CA domain, is making the Internet safer for all Canadians with the implementation of DNSSEC, the latest in a string of new security measures rolling out in 2014.

< <http://www.cira.ca/news/news-releases/dnssec/> http://www.cira.ca/news/news-releases/dnssec/>

.co.com Releases Tens-of-Thousands Premium Domain Names

If you are looking for short memorable domain names that end in the popular .com extension, we have big news. We are excited to announce the release of most of our premium .co.com domain names for ?hand-registration?. The domain names we are releasing are far more valuable than the standard registration fee, but getting .co.com domain names registered and into the hands of those who would develop them, will raise the visibility and awareness of .co.com, and generate even stronger registration volumes.

< <http://registry.co.com/co-com-releases-premium-domain-names/> http://registry.co.com/co-com-releases-premium-domain-names/>

.Co.com drops pricing on ?Premium? domain names, releases reserved

.Co.com, a new third level domain name option, is dropping prices on premium domain names and has removed tens of thousands of domain names from its reserved names list.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/co-com-drops-pricing-on-premium-domain-names-releases-reserved/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/co-com-drops-pricing-on-premium-domain-names-releases-reserved/>

.CO.COM Releases Tens-of-Thousands Premium Domain Names

The registry behind .co.com domains has released tens of thousands of premium domains for what they describe as ?hand-registration?. But the registry believes that while the domains are far more valuable than the standard registration fee, getting them into the hands of those who would develop them will raise the sub-domain?s visibility and awareness and generate even stronger registration volumes.

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/11/co-com-releases-premium-domains/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/11/co-com-releases-premium-domains/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/co-com-releases-premium-domains.html> http://www.domainnews.com/co-com-releases-premium-domains.html>

NiRA advocates shift in sectoral policy outlook on .ng Registration

The Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA), says there is need for a shift in the outlook of government and private sector policies in relation to .ng domain name registration.

< <http://businessdayonline.com/2014/06/nira-advocates-shift-in-sectoral-policy-outlook-on-ng-registration/> http://businessdayonline.com/2014/06/nira-advocates-shift-in-sectoral-policy-outlook-on-ng-registration/>

Number of '.nl' domain names registered in 2013 down 13% [subscription]

SIDN, the registry responsible for the running of the ?.nl? ccTLD, has announced that growth was down 13% in 2013 when compared to 2012, with 5,338,364 domain names registered at the end of 2013 compared to 5,115,652 across the same period in 2012. This trend was observed across a large number of ccTLDs during the same period.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=19de00ee-c686-420e-b9f7-125c5e609c96> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=19de00ee-c686-420e-b9f7-125c5e609c96>

Welcome to the .uk - Stephen Fry first to switch in new era for UK internet

>From today, new, short .uk web domains are available alongside .co.uk for the first time ever, with British icon and tech enthusiast Stephen Fry the first person to make the switch.

< <http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/welcome-uk-stephen-fry-first-switch-new-era-uk-internet> http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/welcome-uk-stephen-fry-first-switch-new-era-uk-internet>

< <http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases/welcome-uk-stephen-fry-first-switch-new-era-uk-internet> http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases/welcome-uk-stephen-fry-first-switch-new-era-uk-internet>

50,000 Second Level .UK Domains Registered In 24 Hours, Beating All New gTLDs

Nominet's launch of .uk registrations at the second level, with the first public registration being stephenfry.uk, went off with a bang this week. Within the first 24 hours over 50,000 domains were registered, making it one of the fastest selling new domain releases on record, and beating the first day sales for all of the current batch of new gTLDs by a large margin.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22446> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22446>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/12/50000-uk-domains-in-24-hours/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/12/50000-uk-domains-in-24-hours/>

.uk registrations surge to a record-breaking start

Within 24 hours of opening for registration, new, short .uk web domains have topped the sales charts. More than 50,000 domains were registered, making this one of the fastest selling new domain releases on record, and beating the first day sales for all of the current batch of new gTLDs by a large margin.

< <http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases/uk-registrations-surge-record-breaking-start> http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases/uk-registrations-surge-record-breaking-start>

Welcome to the .uk .. Unless You?re Not in the UK ..

The .uk launch today has been getting quite a bit of press coverage. Getting a big name celebrity like Stephen Fry to endorse the shorter namespace is also a nice win for Nominet.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/10/welcome-uk-unless-youre-uk/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/06/10/welcome-uk-unless-youre-uk/>

Nominet: 50,000 .uk domain name registrations within 24 hours

Businesses in the UK are seemingly ecstatic about the launch of .uk domain name as over 50,000 domain names have been registered within 24 hours of going live ? beating previous launch records by a huge margin.

< <http://www.techienews.co.uk/9713394/nominet-50000-uk-domain-name-registrations-within-24-hours/> http://www.techienews.co.uk/9713394/nominet-50000-uk-domain-name-registrations-within-24-hours/>

Nominet's new rules on .uk domains could mean the end to users' privacy

Since Tuesday, running a personal website has become a privacy minefield for people using .uk domain names. A recent rule change by Nominet, the company which manages the .uk registry, means that domain name owners whose home addresses were previously kept private may now be publicly visible in online searches. People setting up domain names through Nominet must now also show their full legal personal or business name on the public registration database.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/11/nominet-new-rules-uk-domain-end-privacy> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/11/nominet-new-rules-uk-domain-end-privacy>

Stephen Fry Becomes First To Switch To 2nd Level .UK Domain

British icon and tech enthusiast Stephen Fry became the first person to make the switch to a .uk domain name as Nominet began to allow second level .uk registrations.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22435> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22435>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk.html> http://www.domainnews.com/stephen-fry-first-switch-2nd-level-uk.html>

Stephen Fry is first Briton to switch to .uk domain

Stephen Fry has become the first person to make the switch to a .uk web domain as the service becomes available for the first time.

< <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10887616/Stephen-Fry-is-first-Briton-to-switch-to-.uk-domain.html> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10887616/Stephen-Fry-is-first-Briton-to-switch-to-.uk-domain.html>

Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox welcome arrival of 'dot uk' domain

Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox have signed up as supporters of a social marketing campaign to promote the debut of internet domain name suffix .uk, which goes live today (10 June).

< <http://www.brandrepublic.com/go/news/article/1298011/stephen-fry-martha-lane-fox-welcome-arrival-dot-uk-domain/> http://www.brandrepublic.com/go/news/article/1298011/stephen-fry-martha-lane-fox-welcome-arrival-dot-uk-domain/>

Britain's shortest web address X.uk could fetch ?10m as internet shake-up now allows users to drop .co.uk

One of the shortest but most expensive web addresses in the world will go on sale today and is expected to fetch ?10million.

< <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653797/Britains-shortest-web-address-X-uk-fetch-10m-internet-shake-allows-users-drop-uk.html> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653797/Britains-shortest-web-address-X-uk-fetch-10m-internet-shake-allows-users-drop-uk.html>

Vietnamese govt to fine unregistered online e-commerce sites

Vietnamese online e-commerce sites should register their operations to avoid fines, The Business Times reports. According to the report, unregistered e-commerce websites will be fined between VND 20-30 million, while those online e-commerce sites which sell fake goods will be subject to fines of VND 40-50 million.

< <http://www.telecompaper.com/news/vietnamese-govt-to-fine-unregistered-online-e-commerce-sites--1018360> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/vietnamese-govt-to-fine-unregistered-online-e-commerce-sites--1018360>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

New gTLD Registrations Pass One Million Mark In Dodgy Circumstances

The number of new gTLDs Domains Under Management passed the one million milestone on 6 June, but the boost it received from a .xyz "promotion" run by Network Solutions has led to accusations the registrar has artificially inflated the number of registrations.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22431> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22431>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/09/new-gtld-pass-one-million-dodgy-circumstances/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/09/new-gtld-pass-one-million-dodgy-circumstances/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/gtld-registrations-one-million-dodgy-circumstances.html> http://www.domainnews.com/gtld-registrations-one-million-dodgy-circumstances.html>

gTLD registrations soar, but many brands are falling behind

The number of new gTLD registrations has broken the million mark, with ?xyz? supplanting ?.club? as the most popular string. While online discussion centres on just how it achieved this feat, an equally interesting question is how much of the demand has come from big brands.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=090e1afd-1970-4e27-bb92-92e791058cf0> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=090e1afd-1970-4e27-bb92-92e791058cf0>

Which new TLD is on top? Here?s one answer.

Search data shows that .directory is winning in terms of total indexed pages. No, this article isn?t about whether .xyz or .club should be considered the most registered new domain name so far. Instead, it?s a different look at how to measure the most successful new TLDs.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/which-new-tld-is-on-top-heres-one-answer/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/which-new-tld-is-on-top-heres-one-answer/>

M+M profits by losing new gTLD auctions

Minds + Machines managed to make a profit in 2013, after years of losses, due to its participation in private new gTLD auctions, some of which it ?lost?.

< <http://domainincite.com/16829-mm-profits-by-losing-new-gtld-auctions> http://domainincite.com/16829-mm-profits-by-losing-new-gtld-auctions>

Donuts wins .gifts, .sarl and .restaurant

Donuts has won the contention sets for three new gTLDs, at least two of which seem to have come as the result of an Applicant Auction auction.

< <http://domainincite.com/16791-donuts-wins-gifts-sarl-and-restaurant> http://domainincite.com/16791-donuts-wins-gifts-sarl-and-restaurant>

How to Turn a Closed Generic gTLD Into a Restricted One by Molly Burke

As the New gTLD Program has rolled out over the course of the past few years, ICANN has made a number of program changes along the way. One of these changes disallows closed, generic gTLD applications, such as Amazon's application for .BOOK. Now, applicants for closed generics must decide how to proceed: whether to open their generic strings to the public, limit registrations to a defined portion of the public, withdraw the application, or sell it.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140611_the_case_for_turning_closed_generic_tlds_into_restricted_tlds/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140611_the_case_for_turning_closed_generic_tlds_into_restricted_tlds/>

New .wine online domain set to be uncorked

Online addresses ending in .wine and .vin are set to be uncorked soon, despite objections from European governments and several wine industry groups.

< <http://technology.xin.msn.com/technology-news/new-wine-online-domain-set-to-be-uncorked-5> http://technology.xin.msn.com/technology-news/new-wine-online-domain-set-to-be-uncorked-5>

What do 'The Brady Bunch' and new gTLDs have in common? Buyer beware!

... This is the case with the new gTLDs names. If you have read some of my other blogs, you are aware that I maintain a healthy skepticism about the view that these new gTLDs are viable alternatives to more established gTLDs, such as .com and .org.

< <http://www.networkworld.com/article/2362047/cisco-subnet/what-do-the-brady-bunch-and-new-gtlds-have-in-common-buyer-beware.html> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2362047/cisco-subnet/what-do-the-brady-bunch-and-new-gtlds-have-in-common-buyer-beware.html>

Dot-UK launch: why do we need new domain names?

Today saw the launch of the first .uk web domains, with Stephen Fry leading the charge, marking another milestone in what has been hailed as the biggest change to the internet since the advent of the World Wide Web. But why do we need new domain names, and what will they mean for the future of the internet?

< <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10888869/Dot-UK-launch-why-do-we-need-new-domain-names.html> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10888869/Dot-UK-launch-why-do-we-need-new-domain-names.html>

Abusive domain name registrations

Ahead of the release of a new wave of .uk domain names on 10 June 2014, we provide an overview of the potential developments for the UK internet registry Nominet in the coming year and also look at some of the highlight Nominet decisions relating to the abusive registration of .uk domain names in the last 12 months.

< <http://www.thelawyer.com/briefings/abusive-domain-name-registrations/3021726.article> http://www.thelawyer.com/briefings/abusive-domain-name-registrations/3021726.article>

As Phantom .XYZ Registrations Continue to Pile Up at NetworkSolutions a Stats Reporting Service Plans to Subtract Artificially Inflated Numbers

Well I had hoped for better in the ongoing .XYZ/NetworkSolutions registration fiasco but apparently its not going to happen. NetworkSolutions continues to show contempt for their own customers by stuffing their accounts with .XYZ domains they never asked for (and that could even subject them to some legal risk). Even more disappointing .XYZ's founder, Daniel Negari, claims on one hand the registry had nothing to do with what NetSol is doing while on the other pretending all of those registrations are real people adopting the extension. Unless 2 + 2 now equals 5, those conflicting positions don't add up.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140610.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140610.htm>

One Domain Investor responsible for bulk of .webcam and .trade domain name registrations

A single domain name investor was responsible for the bulk of domain name registrations of Famous Four Media?s domain names launched yesterday.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/webcam-trade/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/webcam-trade/>

New gTLD Community Objection Standing Analysis by Jacob Malthouse

The notion of community has been debated since the inception of the ICANN New gTLD Program. However, as far as we know no one has yet taken a holistic approach to analyzing the wealth of information generated by the experts who participated in the ICANN New gTLD community objection process. As a community applicant for .eco on behalf of the environmental community, Big Room Inc. has a keen interest in understanding how independent experts are interpreting the ICANN notion of community.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140609_new_gtld_community_objection_standing_analysis/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140609_new_gtld_community_objection_standing_analysis/>

Are New TLDs A Squatter's Dream?

Boring old .com and .net just aren?t cool any more. A huge range of new gTLDs are available now, but they offer new potential for squatters and scammers to capitalise on the names of big companies.

< <http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/are-new-top-level-domain-names-a-squatters-dream/> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/are-new-top-level-domain-names-a-squatters-dream/>

Famous Four Media nets $175,000 in a .WEBCAM premium name deal brokered by HuntingMoon

In a private deal, Famous Four Media has sold a package of 15 domain names to a single buyer. The deal, worth $175,000, was for adult oriented terms in the .WEBCAM registry.

< <http://www.famousfourmedia.com/2014/06/famous-four-media-nets-175000-in-a-webcam-premium-name-deal-brokered-by-huntingmoon/> http://www.famousfourmedia.com/2014/06/famous-four-media-nets-175000-in-a-webcam-premium-name-deal-brokered-by-huntingmoon/>

This week in new TLDs: Famous Four, Donuts?and .UK?

Famous Four Media finally gets into the mix this week as it launches its first three TLDs: .webcam, .trade and .bid. All hit the market today.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/famous-four-donuts-uk/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/famous-four-donuts-uk/>

Demand Media spinoff Rightside to list on NASDAQ as ?NAME?, scores more TLDs

Demand Media moved one step closer to spinning off its Rightside domain name business today with the filing of an amended registration statement.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/name-nasdaq-rightside/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/name-nasdaq-rightside/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

2nd China Army Unit Implicated in Online Spying

The email attachment looked like a brochure for a yoga studio in Toulouse, France, the center of the European aerospace industry. But once it was opened, it allowed hackers to sidestep their victim?s network security and steal closely guarded satellite technology.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/technology/private-report-further-details-chinese-cyberattacks.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/technology/private-report-further-details-chinese-cyberattacks.html>

Bank of England raises bar in cybercrime war

The Bank of England has launched a new cyber security strategy for financial institutions in the UK, as the sector struggles to protect itself against the increased threat of cyber attacks.

< <http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2014-06-10/bank-of-england-steps-up-war-on-cyber-crime-cbest-digital-shadows> http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2014-06-10/bank-of-england-steps-up-war-on-cyber-crime-cbest-digital-shadows>

The Bank of England Goes to Cyber War

The Bank of England has launched a new cyber security strategy for financial institutions in the U.K., as the sector struggles to protect itself against the increased threat of cyber-attacks.

< <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/06/10/the-bank-of-england-goes-to-cyber-war/> http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/06/10/the-bank-of-england-goes-to-cyber-war/>

uk: BoE to probe banks? computer defences

A new framework aims to uncover vulnerabilities to cyber attacks

< <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d14be11e-f0bc-11e3-8f3d-00144feabdc0.html> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d14be11e-f0bc-11e3-8f3d-00144feabdc0.html>

New cyber attack testing framework outlined for UK banks

The IT security measures used by UK banks will be subject to "penetration testing" under a new framework that will probe how well the financial institutions are set up to defend against cyber attacks.

< <http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/june/new-cyber-attack-testing-framework-outlined-for-uk-banks/> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/june/new-cyber-attack-testing-framework-outlined-for-uk-banks/>

Businesses' unsecured networks being used to host cyber attacks on other organisations

Cyber attackers are exploiting the way the internet has been designed to launch attacks on businesses, an IT security expert has warned.

< <http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/june/businesses-unsecured-networks-being-used-to-host-cyber-attacks-on-other-organisations/> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/june/businesses-unsecured-networks-being-used-to-host-cyber-attacks-on-other-organisations/>

Wave Of DDoS Attacks Down Cloud-Based Services

The popular Feedly news and information aggregator service continues to struggle to get back up and running today after suffering a powerful distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack that it says included the attackers demanding ransom.

< <http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/wave-of-ddos-attacks-down-cloud-based-services/d/d-id/1269614> http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/wave-of-ddos-attacks-down-cloud-based-services/d/d-id/1269614>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

ie: Gardai ask service providers to block suspect sites

WHILE the Government works on an industry-compatible approach on how to protect kids online, the Garda Siochana have sent out a fresh batch of letters to Irish internet providers asking them to block websites it suspects are hosting illegal content, including child abuse material.

< <http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/gardai-ask-service-providers-to-block-suspect-sites-30347681.html> http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/gardai-ask-service-providers-to-block-suspect-sites-30347681.html>

Bad faith may be found only in specific circumstances when domain name predates trademark rights [subscription]

German company Softway AG has failed to obtain the transfer of the domain name ?softway.com? under the UDRP. Among other things, the panel found that nothing indicated that the respondent had any knowledge of the complainant when it registered the domain name. The decision acts as a reminder that bad faith may be found when a domain name was registered before the complainant's trademark only when specific conditions are met.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=c7b8ac66-0eb6-489d-a7f9-86d588ea74ab> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=c7b8ac66-0eb6-489d-a7f9-86d588ea74ab>

World?s ?Most-Infringing? Music Site Faces Legal Action

A music downloading website subjected to more Google takedown notices than any other in the past year has changed its business model following legal action. Google received 9.7 million notices for Dilandau.eu in the past 12 months alone, making the site the second largest all-time infringer according to the search engine's Transparency Report.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/worlds-most-infringing-music-website-faces-legal-action-140611/> http://torrentfreak.com/worlds-most-infringing-music-website-faces-legal-action-140611/>

Why no RDNH for Thingify.com?

A WIPO panel just handed down a decision in a UDRP for Thingify.com. It follows a familiar story line:

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/11/why-no-rdnh-for-thingify-com/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/11/why-no-rdnh-for-thingify-com/>

French football league draws in domain name recovery battle

The French professional football league, the Ligue de Football Professionnel, recently attempted to recover two domain names corresponding to the designation of the French main football competition, the Ligue 1, using the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP). While it managed to score 'ligue1.biz', its shot passed wide of the goal for 'ligue1.org'.

< <http://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters/Detail.aspx?g=a939a2bb-8839-4735-950e-de7c66a5f8dd> http://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters/Detail.aspx?g=a939a2bb-8839-4735-950e-de7c66a5f8dd>

Non-used domain name is no hidden gem

The Paris Tribunal of First Instance has ruled that while a domain name can constitute a prior right which can be opposed to a future trademark application, the domain name in question actually needs to be used and not merely registered. The decision confirms prior (although scarce) decisions from the French courts and highlights the need to register domain names and trademarks quickly.

< <http://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters/Detail.aspx?g=d58b7ee0-934e-483b-b79e-45e58d4c23b6> http://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters/Detail.aspx?g=d58b7ee0-934e-483b-b79e-45e58d4c23b6>

au: Domain name buy-up widens levy divide

THE son of Warrnambool City councillor Brian Kelson bought several internet domain names centred around the words ?Commerce Warrnambool? and ?Business Warrnambool? in recent weeks, effectively blocking Commerce Warrnambool from using the simplest web address.

< <http://www.standard.net.au/story/2343246/domain-name-buy-up-widens-levy-divide/> http://www.standard.net.au/story/2343246/domain-name-buy-up-widens-levy-divide/>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

IPv4 addresses now EXHAUSTED in Latin America and the Caribbean

The allocation of internet addresses using the IPv4 protocol in Latin America and the Caribbean has hit a critical stage, the region's registry (LACNIC) warned on Tuesday.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/11/ipv4_addresses_depleted_in_latin_america_and_the_caribbean/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/11/ipv4_addresses_depleted_in_latin_america_and_the_caribbean/>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Announcing the Coalition for Local Internet Choice

We are proud to announce the Coalition for Local Internet Choice. We are a diverse coalition of public and private entities who seek to protect the rights of local communities to determine their economic futures by having the right and opportunity to choose for themselves the best broadband internet infrastructure for their businesses, institutions and residents.

< <http://www.localnetchoice.org/?cat=1> http://www.localnetchoice.org/?cat=1>

GoDaddy files for $100m IPO

Web hosting company GoDaddy announced plans on Monday to raise $100m in an initial public offering.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/godaddy-files-for-100m-ipo> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/godaddy-files-for-100m-ipo>

GoDaddy to Tap Public Markets With I.P.O.

GoDaddy, the domain name registration giant, plans to sell its shares to investors in an initial public offering.

< <http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/godaddy-to-tap-public-markets-with-i-p-o/> http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/godaddy-to-tap-public-markets-with-i-p-o/>

GoDaddy To Sell Shares, Offer IPO, To Raise $100m

GoDaddy, the world's largest domain name registrar and webhost, has announced plans to offer an initial public offering of shares that will raise around $100m.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22437> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22437>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/godaddy-offer-ipo/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/06/10/godaddy-offer-ipo/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/godaddy-offer-ipo.html> http://www.domainnews.com/godaddy-offer-ipo.html>

GoDaddy gets patent for ?Domain name hijack protection?

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has granted patent number 8,751,685 to GoDaddy for ?Domain name hijack protection?.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/godaddy-gets-patent-for-domain-name-hijack-protection/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/10/godaddy-gets-patent-for-domain-name-hijack-protection/>

GoDaddy files for $100 million IPO

GoDaddy has filed plans for a $100 million initial public offering of its stock.

< <http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/09/technology/godaddy-ipo/index.html> http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/09/technology/godaddy-ipo/index.html>

GoDaddy Founder Bob Parsons To Step Down As Executive Chairman: Continues To Serve On Board

GoDaddy Founder Bob Parsons has resigned his position as Executive Chairman of the Board in order to devote more time to his ventures outside of GoDaddy. Mr. Parsons will continue to serve on the board of directors. A new chairman will be named over the coming months. GoDaddy is a leading technology provider to small businesses, Web design professionals and individuals around the world.

< <http://au.godaddy.com/news/article/godaddy-founder-bob-parsons-to-step-down-as-executive-chairman-continues-to-serve-on-board.aspx> http://au.godaddy.com/news/article/godaddy-founder-bob-parsons-to-step-down-as-executive-chairman-continues-to-serve-on-board.aspx>

GoDaddy Files Registration Statement For Proposed Initial Public Offering

GoDaddy, the world?s largest technology provider dedicated to small businesses, announced today that it has filed a registration statement on Form S-1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission relating to a proposed initial public offering of shares of its Class A common stock. The number of shares to be offered and the price range for the offering have not yet been determined.

< <http://au.godaddy.com/news/article/godaddy-files-registration-statement-for-proposed-initial-public-offering.aspx> http://au.godaddy.com/news/article/godaddy-files-registration-statement-for-proposed-initial-public-offering.aspx>

Breaking: Go Daddy files for $100 million IPO

Go Daddy has filed its S-1 registration form with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, signalling its intention to go public.

< <http://domainincite.com/16813-breaking-go-daddy-files-for-100-million-ipo> http://domainincite.com/16813-breaking-go-daddy-files-for-100-million-ipo>

8 Things We Learned from GoDaddy?s IPO filing

GoDaddy filed its S-1 today to go public. I?ve skimmed the 250 pages to compile these seven data points that weren?t previously known.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/8-things-we-learned-from-godaddys-ipo-filing/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/09/8-things-we-learned-from-godaddys-ipo-filing/>

Google Chrome's experiment with killing URLs appears to be on hold

For several months, Google toyed with the idea of hiding full web addresses from users in Chrome. That idea appears to be on hold.

< <http://www.pcworld.com/article/2362123/google-chromes-origin-chip-experimental-feature-appears-to-be-on-hold.html> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2362123/google-chromes-origin-chip-experimental-feature-appears-to-be-on-hold.html>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Domain Sales Explode With a $3 Million Sale and Four 6-Figure Sales Logged Over Past Two Weeks

Americans expect to see fireworks on July 4th but they arrived more than a month early in the domain aftermarket with the top five sales alone totaling more than $4 million over the past two weeks. The boom has actually been going on all year. As I noted in a talk at the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. West conference in Las Vegas last week, total dollar volume for sales reported to us in the first quarter of this year was up 47% over the same quarter a year ago

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140611.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140611.htm>

**********************

ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL

**********************

Soccer fans are excited about the World Cup. So are cybercriminals.

As soccer fans around with globe prepare for the World Cup, hackers are getting excited, too, according to a new report on cybersecurity in Latin America from Symantec. The tournament, which kicks off this week in Brazil, is a "rich target for criminals," the cybersecurity company said.

< <http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/06/10/soccer-fans-are-excited-about-the-world-cup-so-are-cybercriminals/> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/06/10/soccer-fans-are-excited-about-the-world-cup-so-are-cybercriminals/>

Worldwide Cost of Cybercrime Estimated at $400 Billion

Experts with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, McAfee look at data loss figures and information from economists and intellectual property experts to come up with the figure.

< <http://www.darkreading.com/worldwide-cost-of-cybercrime-estimated-at-$400-billion/d/d-id/1269527> http://www.darkreading.com/worldwide-cost-of-cybercrime-estimated-at-$400-billion/d/d-id/1269527>

**********************

PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE

**********************

Edward Snowden's NSA leaks 'an important service', says Al Gore

Edward Snowden has secured his highest endorsement yet in the US when former vice-president Al Gore described the leaking of top secret intelligence documents as "an important service".

< <http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/10/edward-snowden-nsa-leaks-important-service-al-gore> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/10/edward-snowden-nsa-leaks-important-service-al-gore>

Google search results may indicate 'right to be forgotten' censorship

Google is planning to flag up search results it has censored following a controversial ruling that allows European citizens the right to demand information on them be erased.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/08/google-search-results-indicate-right-to-be-forgotten-censorship> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/08/google-search-results-indicate-right-to-be-forgotten-censorship>

Stephen Fry: Mass surveillance by government spy agencies is 'squalid and rancid'

Actor and comedian Stephen Fry has condemned the ?disgraceful? and ?duplicitous? mass surveillance of communications by spy agencies GCHQ and the NSA.

< <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/stephen-fry-mass-surveillance-by-government-spy-agencies-is-squalid-and-rancid-9514904.html> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/stephen-fry-mass-surveillance-by-government-spy-agencies-is-squalid-and-rancid-9514904.html>

Microsoft Protests Order for Email Stored Abroad

Microsoft is challenging the authority of federal prosecutors to force the giant technology company to hand over a customer?s email stored in a data center in Ireland.

< <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/amazon-stops-taking-advance-orders-for-lego-other-warner-videos/> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/amazon-stops-taking-advance-orders-for-lego-other-warner-videos/>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY

**************************

EU to launch probe into Apple's Irish tax deal: report

The European Commission will launch a formal investigation on Wednesday into Apple Inc's tax arrangements in Ireland, Irish state broadcaster RTE reported, without naming its source.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/uk-apple-tax-ireland-idUKKBN0EL1T320140610> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/uk-apple-tax-ireland-idUKKBN0EL1T320140610>

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/uk-apple-tax-ireland-idINKBN0EL1SN20140610> http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/uk-apple-tax-ireland-idINKBN0EL1SN20140610>

EU to probe Apple?s Irish tax affairs

Move by Brussels is part of widening global crackdown on evasion

< <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b3a9c9ec-f0cf-11e3-8f3d-00144feabdc0.html> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b3a9c9ec-f0cf-11e3-8f3d-00144feabdc0.html>

EU to investigate Apple's tax affairs

The European Commission is to open a formal investigation into Apple, Starbucks and Fiat in relation to tax arrangements with three EU countries.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27788238> http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27788238>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

au: Small business is missing the mobile, social, cloud revolution by Jim Minifie, Productivity Growth Program Director at Grattan Institute

Most companies that live and breathe the online revolution are not tech startups, but smart smaller firms that use online tools to run their core business better: to cut costs, reach customers and suppliers, innovate and get more control. Many others, however, are falling behind, according to a new Grattan Institute discussion paper.

< <http://theconversation.com/small-business-is-missing-the-mobile-social-cloud-revolution-27793> http://theconversation.com/small-business-is-missing-the-mobile-social-cloud-revolution-27793>

David Goldstein

 email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone:  <tel:%2B61%20418%20228%20605> +61 418 228 605 ? mobile /  <tel:%2B61%202%209663%203430> +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery