[DNS] auDA Domain News - 6 October

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 04:08:06 -0000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

?We Don't Need No Governance?: Why the Internet Governance Forum Misses the Point

< <http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2014/10/02/we-dont-need-no-governance-why-the-internet-governance-forum-misses-the-point/> http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2014/10/02/we-dont-need-no-governance-why-the-internet-governance-forum-misses-the-point/>

Governments to elect new leader in Los Angeles

< <http://post.milathan.com/2014/10/governments-to-elect-new-leader-in-los-angeles/> http://post.milathan.com/2014/10/governments-to-elect-new-leader-in-los-angeles/>

'Dot brand' registries: dragging their feet

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/article/brand-registries-dragging-their-feet> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/article/brand-registries-dragging-their-feet>

ICA Exploring Domain Theft Project to Counter a Growing Abuse by Philip Corwin

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/domain-theft-project/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/domain-theft-project/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

?We Don't Need No Governance?: Why the Internet Governance Forum Misses the Point

Billed as the highlight of the year on the Internet policy conference circuit, the UN-sponsored Internet Governance Forum is a supposedly indispensable annual meeting about the Internet and its future.

< <http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2014/10/02/we-dont-need-no-governance-why-the-internet-governance-forum-misses-the-point/> http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2014/10/02/we-dont-need-no-governance-why-the-internet-governance-forum-misses-the-point/>

EU member states to speak with one voice on Internet governance

European Union (EU) member states have pledged to act as coherent partners on Internet governance. At an informal meeting of EU telecommunications ministers in Italy's business capital Milan on Thursday and Friday, member states supported the evolution of Internet governance within an open and transparent multi-stakeholder model, Italy's undersecretary in charge of telecommunications and frequencies Antonello Giacomelli told a press conference at the end of the meeting.

< <http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2014-10/04/content_33679057.htm> http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2014-10/04/content_33679057.htm>

Are We Destined To Surf The UN-Net?

Earlier this year, the Obama administration asked ICANN to create a means of overseeing the Internet after U.S. governance is scheduled to end in another year. The administration decided not to maintain the current U.S. minimum-oversight role.

< <http://news.heartland.org/editorial/2014/10/05/are-we-destined-surf-un-net> http://news.heartland.org/editorial/2014/10/05/are-we-destined-surf-un-net>

Web pioneer Dame Wendy Hall on the future of the internet [registration]

The computer scientist talks about personal data, cyber crime and why, one day, we could all have chips in our brains

< <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/8f7ff388-440e-11e4-baa7-00144feabdc0.html> http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/8f7ff388-440e-11e4-baa7-00144feabdc0.html>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

The ICANN Site - A Lot Done; a Lot More to Do

It's been nearly one year since we launched the bare bones of the new ICANN website. Six months later, we migrated our content to the site and fully launched it. These milestones, and the impending ICANN51 meeting, provides us with an opportunity to reflect on how far we've come with this project, share the many things that still need doing and answer your questions about the site's progress.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-icann-site-a-lot-done-a-lot-more-to-do> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-icann-site-a-lot-done-a-lot-more-to-do>

Julien Dedier, IRESC Representative to the United Nations | International Radio Emergency Support Coalition, to Fadi Chehad?, Steve Crocker and Christine Willett

New gTLD application for .RADIO

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/dedier-to-chehade-et-al-2014-09-24-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/dedier-to-chehade-et-al-2014-09-24-en>

Draft document from GAC Sub-group on Geographic Names - Community input sought

The GAC Sub-group on Geographic Names (a Sub-group of the GAC Working Group on Future New gTLDs) has developed a draft document for future New gTLD rounds outlining several public policy aspects related to geographic names and is currently seeking community input on this document:

< <https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory+Committee> https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory+Committee>

Governments to elect new leader in Los Angeles

ICANN?s Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) will be choosing a new Chair during the Los Angeles meeting week.

< <http://post.milathan.com/2014/10/governments-to-elect-new-leader-in-los-angeles/> http://post.milathan.com/2014/10/governments-to-elect-new-leader-in-los-angeles/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

New version of the Terms & Conditions for .be domain names

>From mid-November onwards, DNS Belgium will be offering a new service to the registrants of .be domain names, called the ?Domain Guard?. DNS Belgium therefore made some minor changes to the Terms and Conditions that apply to all .be domain names.

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/new-version-terms-conditions-be-domain-names> http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/new-version-terms-conditions-be-domain-names>

Important changes for '.ch' and '.swiss' domain name holders

Some website owners may have recently received an email informing them that unless they transfer their '.ch' domain to another service provider, it will be cancelled.

< <http://www.internationallawoffice.com/newsletters/detail.aspx?g=6a097ea5-1a53-4a3c-9ead-717a873ac3a8> http://www.internationallawoffice.com/newsletters/detail.aspx?g=6a097ea5-1a53-4a3c-9ead-717a873ac3a8>

Continued growth for .eu in Q2

The .eu TLD finished Q2 with a growth rate of 4.2% year over year, according to the latest quarterly report released by the .eu registry EURid.

< <http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/oct-2014/continued-growth-eu-q2> http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/oct-2014/continued-growth-eu-q2>

.eu domains up 4% year-on-year in Q2

The total number of .eu domain names registered at the end of Q2 represented an increase of 4.2 percent or 122,450 registrations, when compared with the total number at the end of 2013, according to the latest quarterly report released by the .eu registry EURid.

< <http://www.telecompaper.com/news/eu-domains-up-4-year-on-year-in-q2--1040742> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/eu-domains-up-4-year-on-year-in-q2--1040742>

Federal Domain Name Policy for .Gov Websites is Putting People at Risk

Michael Olenick of West Palm Beach, FL was so irritated with his experience on ?fafsa.com? that he created a petition in an effort to prompt an investigation into the website?s practices.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/01/federal-domain-name-policy-for-gov-websites-is-putting-people-at-risk/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/01/federal-domain-name-policy-for-gov-websites-is-putting-people-at-risk/>

Freenom adds .gq to free African ccTLD roster

Freenom has struck a deal with registry for the once-dormant ccTLD for Equatorial Guinea to offer .gq domain names for free worldwide.

< <http://domainincite.com/17468-freenom-ads-gq-to-free-african-cctld-roster> http://domainincite.com/17468-freenom-ads-gq-to-free-african-cctld-roster>

.nz second-level names now available

The New Zealand Domain Name Commission has started making second-level domains under .nz available for the first time.

< <http://domainincite.com/17466-nz-second-level-names-now-available> http://domainincite.com/17466-nz-second-level-names-now-available>

PROPOSED PRICING ADJUSTMENT: Co.za, Net.za, Org.za and Web.za

The .ZA Domain Name Authority (ZADNA) hereby invites comments and feedback to the proposed per domain name fee adjustment for the Co.za, Org.za, Net.za and Web.za Second Level Domains.

< <http://www.zadna.org.za/news/entry/notice-invitation-of-comments-and-feedback> http://www.zadna.org.za/news/entry/notice-invitation-of-comments-and-feedback>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

Even NYC?s new domain address is exclusive ? for New Yorkers only

New York City is getting its own domain extension, and starting on October 8, the .nyc address will be available to that elite subsection of the general public known as New Yorkers.

< <http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/03/domain-address-nyc-is-coming-next-week-for-new-yorkers-only-of-course/> http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/03/domain-address-nyc-is-coming-next-week-for-new-yorkers-only-of-course/>

'Dot brand' registries: dragging their feet

Despite representing around a third of new gTLD applicants, very few brand owners have yet to take the plunge and launch their own registry. TBO finds out why.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/article/brand-registries-dragging-their-feet> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/article/brand-registries-dragging-their-feet>

New gTLD Fees Threaten the Diversity of the Name Space by Tim Johnson

The great promise of the new gTLD programme is not that it will spawn dozens of .COM clones, but rather that it will lead to the creation of a global constellation of unique names embraced by specific interest groups. As an ICANN community, our challenge now is to ensure that the policy framework we've created to manage new gTLDs advances that vision by not penalising the very sorts of domains that the programme was designed to encourage.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141003_new_gtld_fees_threaten_the_diversity_of_the_name_space/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141003_new_gtld_fees_threaten_the_diversity_of_the_name_space/>

Analyst: new TLDs to hit $500 million in 3 years

B. Riley & Co analyst Sameet Sinha issued a report today estimating that new TLDs should go ?from Zero to $500MM in Three Years?. The report also initiates coverage of Rightside with a buy rating and a $15 price target. The stock currently trades for about $10.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/analyst-new-tlds-to-hit-500-million-in-3-years/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/analyst-new-tlds-to-hit-500-million-in-3-years/>

Non-partners banned from using .law and .abogado, says registry

Only law firm partners will be allowed to register a .law or .abogado address when they go live next year, domain name registry Minds + Machines (M + M) has said.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/non-partners-banned-from-using-law-and-abogado-says-m-m-4129> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/non-partners-banned-from-using-law-and-abogado-says-m-m-4129>

Speak up for your language by Sarmad Hussain, ICANN

I believe that multilingual or internationalized domain names (IDNs) are key to a truly global Internet. Therefore, I had been an active member of the Arabic script IDN community, before taking up my current role at ICANN.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/09/30/speak-up-for-your-language/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/09/30/speak-up-for-your-language/>

Proud of Flanders, online as well!

Flanders is a fantastic region, full of innovative companies, heartwarming initiatives and hardworking businesses. It is also a region about which we are a little too modest when it comes to blowing our own trumpet. So it is high time that we put Flanders firmly on the map. Precisely for that reason, DNS Belgium is launching the campaign website trotsop.vlaanderen (Proud of Flanders) to mark the start of the registration period of .vlaanderen domain names for local government bodies, businesses and organisations.

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/proud-flanders-online-well> http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/proud-flanders-online-well>

.vlaanderen and .brussels available from today for companies, government departments and organisations

In Belgium, companies, government departments and organisations, such as non-profit bodies, will be able to apply for a .vlaanderen or .brussels domain name for their websites and e-mail addresses starting today, Thursday 2 October.

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/vlaanderen-and-brussels-available-today-companies-government-departments-and-organisations> http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/vlaanderen-and-brussels-available-today-companies-government-departments-and-organisations>

Donuts Launches .CITY and .HEALTHCARE Internet Domains

Donuts Inc., the world?s largest registry for new gTLDs, continues its ongoing mission to expand and diversify the Internet?s global addressing system in October by making two highly anticipated gTLDs available to the public. This week, users worldwide are able to register addresses in .CITY, followed on October 15 by .HEALTHCARE.

< <http://www.donuts.co/news/donuts-launches-city-and-healthcare-internet-domains/> http://www.donuts.co/news/donuts-launches-city-and-healthcare-internet-domains/>

Why .CHAT could be all that .TEL wanted to be and more

Almost everyone that has been working in the domain name industry for a while has a story about .TEL. It was introduced in 2005 and went live in 2009 with a flurry of publicity. It was a grand concept aiming to revolutionize the way in which people keep in touch. Unlike traditional domain names, the purpose of a .TEL domain name is to help manage and exchange contact information about people and corporate entities.

< <http://gtld.club/2014/10/01/why-chat-could-be-all-that-tel-wanted-to-be-and-more/> http://gtld.club/2014/10/01/why-chat-could-be-all-that-tel-wanted-to-be-and-more/>

?Frustrated? Morocco denies it supported .tata gTLD

The Moroccan government claims that it did not give its support to the .tata dot-brand gTLD, which was granted to Tata Group, the massive Indian conglomerate, in July.

< <http://domainincite.com/17457-frustrated-morocco-denies-it-supported-tata-gtld> http://domainincite.com/17457-frustrated-morocco-denies-it-supported-tata-gtld>

Should new TLD registries sell directly to consumers?

There has been an established channel for gTLD domain name registrations for a long time.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/should-new-tld-registries-sell-directly-to-consumers/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/should-new-tld-registries-sell-directly-to-consumers/>

Donuts To Hit One Million New gTLD Registrations This Month

Donuts is currently around the 960,000 mark for registrations across all the new gTLDs and is expecting to pass the one million mark later this month.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22966> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22966>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/02/donuts-one-million-new-gtld-registrations/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/02/donuts-one-million-new-gtld-registrations/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/donuts-one-million-new-gtld-registrations.html> http://www.domainnews.com/donuts-one-million-new-gtld-registrations.html>

Donuts aims for Million domain name milestone this month

Donuts, the largest registry for new TLDs, hopes to sell its millionth domain name registration this month.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/donuts-aims-for-million-domain-name-milestone-this-month/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/02/donuts-aims-for-million-domain-name-milestone-this-month/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

JPMorgan Chase Hack Affects 76 Million Households

A cyberattack this summer on JPMorgan Chase compromised the accounts of 76 million households and seven million small businesses, a tally that dwarfs previous estimates by the bank and puts the intrusion among the largest ever.

< <http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/> http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/>

Ways to Protect Yourself After the JPMorgan Hacking

The numbers are shocking: Personal information from 76 million households may have been compromised as part of the cyberattack on JPMorgan Chase. That is the equivalent of two out of every three households in the United States, though a small portion of those affected may be overseas.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/your-money/jpmorgan-chase-hack-ways-to-protect-yourself.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/your-money/jpmorgan-chase-hack-ways-to-protect-yourself.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

ICA Exploring Domain Theft Project to Counter a Growing Abuse by Philip Corwin

There has been a lot of domain industry press attention lately to domain thefts. We don?t know for sure if this problem is becoming more acute or is just being reported on more often. But, regardless of the level of activity, we know that there are inadequate recovery and punitive remedies available at present for domain owners who experience theft of their valuable domain assets. Something is very wrong when a hacker can surreptitiously transfer a valuable domain and there is no reliable or cost-efficient means for recovering it.

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/domain-theft-project/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/domain-theft-project/>

Lighting company obtains transfer of domain name under '.lighting' gTLD [registration]

Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S, a well-known manufacturer of lighting products, has obtained the transfer under the UDRP of a domain name identically reproducing its trademark under the new gTLD ?.lighting?.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=876bc073-c68d-47b9-84ae-9c41764b3b99> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=876bc073-c68d-47b9-84ae-9c41764b3b99>

uk: Police Seize Domain of Frombar Sports Streaming Site

The popular sports streaming 'franchise' Sportlemon has lost Frombar.com, one of its main domain names, following a request from the UK's Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit. Whether the intervention will prove effective has yet to be seen, as the site is continuing its operations from various alternate domains.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/police-seize-domain-of-frombar-sports-streaming-site-141004/> http://torrentfreak.com/police-seize-domain-of-frombar-sports-streaming-site-141004/>

au: My Brilliance Pty Ltd. v. Amazon Corporate Services Pty Ltd. - Case No. DAU2014-0018

1. The Parties: The Complainant is My Brilliance Pty Ltd. of Perth, Western Australia, Australia represented by IP Strategies International, Australia. The Respondent is Amazon Corporate Services Pty Ltd. of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, represented by King & Wood Mallesons, Australia. 2. The Domain Name and Registrar: The disputed domain name <brilliancepublishing.com.au> is registered with MarkMonitor Inc. (the ?Registrar?)

< <http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0018> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0018>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

IPv6 & Broadband - Four Speakers at Broadband World Forum Next Month

We?ve gathered four speakers from across Europe who have each deployed IPv6 on their own networks. They?ll share their experiences during the IPv6 deployment session on Wednesday, 22 October, at Broadband World Forum in Amsterdam. I'm chairing this session and I?m excited to invite you to join us next month for a case study and a panel that are both sure to be informative.

< <http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/tech-matters/2014/09/ipv6-broadband-four-speakers-broadband-world-forum-next-month> http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/tech-matters/2014/09/ipv6-broadband-four-speakers-broadband-world-forum-next-month>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

RIPE NCC and CENTR Hold Joint Meeting With Governments

The RIPE NCC and CENTR, the European ccTLD organisation, held a meeting on Wednesday, 1 October 2014, in Brussels, Belgium, for governments and regulators to discuss issues of relevance to both the RIPE and CENTR communities.

< <http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/ripe-ncc-and-centr-hold-joint-meeting-with-governments> http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/ripe-ncc-and-centr-hold-joint-meeting-with-governments>

Key Considerations for Selecting a Managed DNS Provider

Rohit KinraI spend a lot of time talking with customers about how they choose their managed DNS provider. In listening to their stories over the years, I have noticed that many of them use similar (if not identical) criteria to make this very important decision -- one that could ultimately mean success or failure for the lifeblood of their Web-based infrastructure and often their entire business. I?d like to take this opportunity to outline some of the more important criteria to consider when selecting a managed DNS provider.

< <http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/key_considerations_for_selecting_a> http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/key_considerations_for_selecting_a>

Undue Process: Nearly Five Thousand Domains Transferred Under Sealed Court Order by Philip Corwin

Noted domain investor, industry advisor, blogger, and ICA member Mike Berkens has alerted us to a very disturbing occurrence. Unfortunately for Mike, he has been directly impacted by it.

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/undue-process/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/undue-process/>

**********************

- WEBHOSTING

**********************

Netcraft: Most Reliable Hosting Company Sites in September 2014

Qube had the most reliable company site in September with only a single failed request. This is the fourth time this year that Qube has made it to first place, nudging ahead of Datapipe's track record this year. Qube offers a Hybrid cloud service, where physical servers and equipment are integrated with its cloud hosting with a secure connection between the two networks.

< <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/10/02/most-reliable-hosting-company-sites-in-september-2014.html> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/10/02/most-reliable-hosting-company-sites-in-september-2014.html>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Rob Grant Closes Six-Figure Sale of TorontoRealEstate.com to Top This Week's Sales Chart

Rob Grant (who was profiled in our April 2008 Cover Story) has the world's best portfolio of geo-targeted .com real estate domains. Rob collected the latest dividend from his vast collection today (Sept. 17, 2014) when he closed a $140,000 sale of TorontoRealEstate.com that he has been working on for the past four months.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140924.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20140924.htm>

**********************

SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************

Facebook to Review Its Studies on Users

Facebook said Thursday that future research on its 1.3 billion users would be subjected to greater internal scrutiny from top managers, especially if they focused on ?deeply personal topics? or specific groups of people.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/technology/facebook-promises-a-deeper-review-of-its-user-research.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/technology/facebook-promises-a-deeper-review-of-its-user-research.html>

Facebook: We're still experimenting on users, but now it's less creepy

Facebook says it's making changes after an uproar over its mood manipulation experiment.

< <http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/02/technology/social/facebook-experiment/index.html> http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/02/technology/social/facebook-experiment/index.html>

Facebook changes its research rules after mood study backlash

Facebook is changing the way it conducts research using its site, following a summer uproar over a mood study that the social network's researchers published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

< <http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/02/facebook-changes-its-research-rules-after-mood-study-backlash/> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/02/facebook-changes-its-research-rules-after-mood-study-backlash/>

Socially Unacceptable?

I?d like to take a brief departure this week from our usual discussion of domain name disputes and talk about the important issue of social media. As many of you know, trademark infringement in the online arena is not limited to domain names, and many brand owners have been faced with misleading, fraudulent, and other confusing uses of their trademarks in social media usernames (account names used to identify a page on a social media site).

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/09/29/socially-unacceptable/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/09/29/socially-unacceptable/>

David Goldstein

 email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone:  <tel:%2B61%20418%20228%20605> +61 418 228 605 ? mobile /  <tel:%2B61%202%209663%203430> +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery