Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Hugh Irvine <hugh§connect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:30:54 +1100
Gary Oliver wrote:

> >>I think you were correct above - the registries *shouldn't* attempt to do anything other than p
> rovide a listing service.
>
> So if others apart from em think like this how do we translate this into
> an outcome?

Sorry Gary - what is the question? If it is how do we proceed from here, I
would suggest that something like acn.au, with a completely different mode of
operation would be an interesting first step. As Simon has already said, the
advantage of this particular domain (and I realise that it doesn't solve all
problems) is that there can be *no* argument or discussion about entries
therein, and an extremely effective search tool can be implemented directly by
the ASC (or at least from their public information). As I have said before,
this is not a complete solution to the problem, however I would suggest that
there is *no* single solution and this would be a useful alternative approach
that is worth exploring.

Hugh