Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Gary Oliver <gary.oliver§ooo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 00:57:18 +1100
Hugh Irvine wrote:

> > rovide a listing service.
> >
> > So if others apart from em think like this how do we translate this into
> > an outcome?
> >

> Sorry Gary - what is the question? If it is how do we proceed from here, I
> would suggest that something like acn.au, with a completely different mode of
> operation would be an interesting first step. As Simon has already said, the
> advantage of this particular domain (and I realise that it doesn't solve all
> problems) is that there can be *no* argument or discussion about entries
> therein, and an extremely effective search tool can be implemented directly by
> the ASC (or at least from their public information). As I have said before,
> this is not a complete solution to the problem, however I would suggest that
> there is *no* single solution and this would be a useful alternative approach
> that is worth exploring.
>
> Hugh

Hi Hugh

Thanks for poitning out I omitted the question. My question is the same
as that others have posed, viz what is wrong with allowing dictionary
words in .com.au subject to showing grounds for it.

The problem that I see with the acn approach I touched on in an earlier
msg, viz many companies are in a structure (eg operations, financing,
holding etc) and so have several acns within their "group".

Warm regards
Gary