DNS: Domain Names - the problems with the present australian authority

From: Lesli Berger <les§hartingdale.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:53:52 +1100
Although I may agree that certain swear words should not be allowed to
be authorised as Domain Names in Australia, in my mind it is ludicrous
to reject domain names such as www.cat.com.au and www.dog.com.au, simply
because "cat" and "dog" are dictionary words. Why does this limitation
exist in Australia and not in the U.S? As far as I am concerned the
Internet is a place where people can talk about whatever they want and
give people whatever information they want to gain.
	In my mind this freedom should extend to Domain Names (within reason of
course!) The way I see it, Domain Names should be encouraged by allowing
non offensive words to be used as Domain Names. In this country an
individual is allowed to have whatever word they want on a license plate
so long as the word is not offensive and the individual is willing to
pay for it. Domain Names should not be any different...