Re: DNS: ADNA

From: Stewart Carter <edireport§attmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:01:54 +0000
Michael,

thanks for getting the ball rolling. I think it would help if we can decide
whether or not ADNA is going to be a regulatory body. If it is in fact to
regulate the allocation of Domain Names in Australia, then it will need the
ability to enforce its decisions, or in other words, real enforcement powers.

So the following questions stand out, for me, from your proposal.

1, What is there, either in law or otherwise, that will empower the ADNA to
direct organisations like yours, or Melbourne IT, or anyone else involved in
allocating domain names?

Surely the ADNA needs to establish that power, first, by way of a formal
agreement with you, Melbourne IT,  and the other DNA's here in Australia.
Otherwise there is no guarantee that ADNA will be able to enforce anything.
This is particularly the case because

2, I don't see where organisations like yours, or Melbourne IT etc fit into
the ADNA management structure - surely its not proposed that they just be
members like anyone else who pays their $1000.

3, I don't see any relationship specified between ADNA and international
authorities - doesn't this venture needs at least some sort of gong from ISOC
or IANA?.

Stewart Carter