Re: DNS: question re M-IT: domain delegate?

From: Robert Dal Santo <robert§psy.uq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 11:34:42 +1000

>> For the moment, ISOC-AU does say "COM.AU only". That's not "never anything
>> else, no way, no how", but for now.
>
>That is the stand that most of us see ISOC-AU taking. From what I have
>seen it _really_ appears that ISOC-AU will never, while there is breath in
>its body, let ADNA go any furtehr than the commercial domains.

	I don't know about most but I read it as saying. Yes,  do COM.AU,
do it well and show what you can do but don't just walk in and take .AU
when you have no track record.

>If ISOC-AU could then perhaps make that statement official that they do
>not have objections to ADNA aspiring to more than .com.au as per its goals
>then we could really move forward.

	Having a goal of one day managing AU is fine I think, but thats different from
having your articles of incorporation state you have
already acheived that goal.

>This is what is really holding things up !
>ADNA has said it will start there but ISOC-AU seems to refuse to beleive
>it should be allowed to go any further - ever. I have seen no official
>release to say any different.

	No. I think the problem is that ADNA SAYS it will start there but
its press release and articles of incorporation still say it controls .AU

>ADNA wants to do things right, it wants to start on .com.au, it wants to
>formulate policy that will allow multiple DNAs and the application for new
>2LDs but it is unfair to demmand of it that it will go no further.
>ISOC-AU seems to be hell bent on demmanding that ADNA never leave the
>commercial arena - this is how it seems to me.

	Actually, heres an idea. There seems to at least be consensus that COM.AU
needs attention. What if, while this whole debate continues, ADNA gets
on with resolving the problems in .COM.AU?? That would move towards things
getting done as well as starting to create a track record for ADNA.

	Would that be an immediate improvement on the current situation?

Robert