DNS: fasttraking competion

From: <vicc§cia.net.au>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:38:16 +1000 (EST)
its pretty clear to me from the public portion of the meeting and
from private discussions with MIT that they have  no intention to
precipitate competion other then by acknowledging that they cant stop it.

I propose that the only way to get competition is to allow prospective
DNAs to cofund the registry software as required. as is currently being
demonstrated we can be having this discussion next year if we leave it up
to the incumbant registrar.

I am amazed to discover, and in retrospect probabl shouldnt due the academic
nature of some of the participants, that many people involved in the
dns system have absolutely no fundamental grasp of commercial reality.
the current dns policies reflect this quite clearly. so if we can put aside
the inane excuses about "fair" and "unfair" to the current registrars and
get on with the process of bringing in competition the rest of australia
will be better off.

can we please have a response form the board on the issue of allowing
porspective registrars funding the required software to bring on competion.

It is my beleif that if we allow propespective registrars to cofund required
software we will have real competion within a month.

Vic