Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:43:45 +1000 (EST)
] >_From: Peter Gerrand
] >
] > Robert's appointment as Administrator of .au is a personal appointment from
] > IANA.  As Administrator of .au, KRE awarded Melbourne IT a five year,
] > non-exclusive licence to administer com.au, starting in October 1996.

Vic Cinc wrote:
] ok, we would like have a com.au license. how do I get one?

Perhaps it will seem foolish in hindsight, but I am going to attempt
to answer Vic's question constructively.

There are two bodies which could conceivably grant licenses in com.au
in the foreseeable future.  One is Robert Elz, the other is ADNA.

The things which ADNA would need to do to obtain the power to grant
registrar license and their progress to date in doing so has been covered
in this list already.  (As a board member of IIA, which is a member of
ADNA, if anything you probably know more about this than I do anyway.)

Robert Elz currently has the power to grant non-exclusive com.au
registrar licenses (subject to his discretion and judgement).

If you want to convince kre, I expect you would need to show capability
to successfully run a registrar, at least from a technical point of view,
and an ability to understand the naming policy of com.au and be prepared
to uphold/implement it.

Perhaps you could start by building up some demonstrable experience in
running a domain name registrar for a smaller domain (think of it as
something to put on the corporate CV, and an investment for the future).

In particular, Michael Malone recently called for EOIs to act as (non-
exclusive) registrars within asn.au.  You might also be able to become
a (co)registrar for a *.id.au domain (see www.id.au for background),
but I can't give you any concrete suggestions on how to go about that
at the minute.

Or you could apply to be a registrar for a gtld (www.gtld-mou.org),
if the US Government hasn't stomped on that.  Their policy (basically
open slather) might suit you (Vic) better anyway.
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management