Re: [DNS] DNS FAQ v0.01 (DRAFT)

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:16:19 +1000 (EST)
] Antony wrote:
] >
] > Just wanted to say thanks to Kim and David for their updates on the
] > DNS FAQ. I will be making the suggested changes, however I am waiting
] > for more comments over the next few days (people are then at work)
] > before publishing v0.01b
]
] Antony, with all due respect, I think you're jumping the gun a little bit by
] writing and assembling answers before it is determined what all the questions
] should be. Perhaps listees should nominate exactly what bits of the DNS issue
] they want explained in the FAQ?

I think FAQs are quite suitable for a "bazaar" model of development,
rather than a "cathedral" model of development (in the terminology of
Eric S. Raymond's excellent paper on free software development).  As
Eric titled one of his chapters: "Release early, release often."
     http://www.linuxresources.com/Eric/cathedral-paper-4.html

I can't see any reason why having one person writing and editting an
FAQ is better than having dozens of people contributing and one person
editting that FAQ.  Why not have lots of people doing bits of FAQ?

There's nothing stopping two people from editting their own separate FAQs,
although I think we'd all like to see them converge in time.  (Which might
be as simple as merging them at high speed, or for Unix techies: "cat".)

It's important to remember that any FAQ (on this list in particular) must
be *dynamic*.  If anyone wants to build a great FAQ and then not update
it, that would be like a monument: set in stone, nice to look at, of
historical significance, but of little practical use.

And as I said earlier, don't expect the DNS list to officially "bless"
any particular FAQ (or FAQ editor).  Do expect that FAQs will evolve.

In short: Antony you write your FAQ, Paul you write your FAQ, publish
them both, and we'll try to merge them later.  For the time being, I
wouldn't call either of them "the authoritative FAQ of the DNS list".
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management