Re: [DNS] Where to find?

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:13:57 +0200
Quoting Mr Grumpy on Friday May 17, 2002:

| I read the paper every day, I am subscribed to
| numerous magazines on and off line. I have seen
| mention of auDA twice. 1 - The Age IT - a small
| mention on upcoming seminars. 2 - Chris' news.

Well, I don't think things are quite so dismal. A search for auDA in The
Age's archives reveals 59 stories. A search in The Australian's archives
reveals 7 in the past 2 months. Whilst getting eclectic domain name news
in more mainstream media is difficult, I even saw an article on auDA on
about page 5 of The West Australian earlier in the year.

I admit I don't read magazines etc that much, but I am aware of
stories they have published from time to time.

| Seminars are only for those interested in the
| industry. Again I say it is the public that is being
| scammed why not tell them in a way they can
| understand.

Agreed. What would you recommend? There has been some consideration
to sending every registrant alerts, which I personally think is a
good idea, although not without downsides.

The problem is for these scam artists, how do you tell all the people
at "Accounts Payable" that are being tricked? Does auDA send another
official looking letter to them also.. how effective will it be? Who
will foot the bill?

Competition promises to remove the avenues some resellers use to trick
consumers. Do we take this measure to cut it off at the source, or do we
work on an education campaign trying to treat the symptoms?

| From what i gather competition will start in two
| weeks. The horse is bolting but the jockey is still
| weighing up the race.

I don't know when competition will begin.. "When it's ready."
I wouldn't expect Chris to just say "today's the day," and
you need to weigh up the benefits of delaying this even further
against the penetration of your information campaign.

Seminars are useful because whilst the general public should know,
the industry HAS to know and will have a flow on effect. I would
expect those of us in the industry to know all the details on
how things work and to pass that on to their customers. Educating
every end user directly would be a poor use of auDA's finite resources.

kim