Re: [DNS] domain names are old hat

From: DPF <david§farrar.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:35:06 +1200
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:18:04 +0200, Kim Davies <kim&#167;cynosure.com.au>
wrote:

>Trying to push common usage of a term like "webname" will never take
>off.. and I think if it is ever tried to be used in any official way
>will just create increased confusion.

I agree any official documents should not refer to domain names.
However I have been surprised how many people in a poll done in NZ
(about the 2LD policy) did not know what a domain name was, but did
recognise it, when it was explained as basically a "website address"
(even though it is far more than that).

The .nz poll for those interested is at
http://dnc.org.nz/content/2ld_poll_results.pdf - only 27% of
respondents who use the internet knew what a domain name was.

DPF
--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: david&#167;farrar.com